The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 2, 1999, 09:37 PM   #1
Sgrigs

Hi,
I have been given an old belgian made a5. It was spray painted with black and gray paint all over the wood and barrell. I want to clean it up and keep it looking like it was before the spray paint job. someone tried to camoflauge it. How would I clean off the paint without ruining the metal barrell or the fine wood stock?
Old December 3, 1999, 05:54 PM   #2
Beano

Sgrigs,

Dismantle the gun first and separate wood from metal.

Paint Remover to bare wood, then clear spray lacquer (high traffic varnish) for the stock and fore end, several coats for durability.

Paint Remover for the barrel and receiver too. These will need to be blued. Its best to have a restorer or smith do this for you but you can buy the materials and try it yourself.

In fact it would probably be better for a professional to do everything for you as he will get it right the first time.

ENJOY SHOTGUNNING and try ISSF Skeet.
Old December 4, 1999, 12:22 AM   #3
Ron L

I don't know if I'd strip everything to bare wood or metal.

If regular spray paint were used, it can be removed with something along the lines of lacquer thinner, gasoline or kerosene. I've removed graffiti with gasoline, which is a petroleum distillate and we also oil down our guns, so there's a slight bit of a connection there. Beware of the lacquer thinner on the wood. It may remove the finish. None of these materials should do damage to the existing blued finish. As always, proceed with caution when working with chemicals and dispose of them properly. Test whatever you want to try in a small hidden area before going all-out on the cleaning.

Good luck.

------------------
Ron

Detroit Area Chapter
Terra-Haute Torque & Recoil Society