The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 3, 2013, 05:34 PM   #1
Fox84

308 fired once brass

Where can I buy the good stuff cheap?

Last edited by Fox84; November 3, 2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old November 3, 2013, 06:01 PM   #2
Lemmon

www.tjconevera.com

Try www.tjconevera.com I have ordered from them many times and the stuff is cleaned, rimmed and deprimed. Have not been disappointed. Currently they have 500 once fired military for $114 and he ships for free.

http://store.tjconevera.com/onfi308miprb.html

Lemmon from rural South Carolina
Old November 3, 2013, 06:14 PM   #3
jepp2

I recently got some new LC brass from Widener's link

On the plus side it is primed with CCI 34 primers, it is Lake City, and did I mention it was new?

The downside is that the necks are tar sealed from where the bullets were pulled.

Be careful about buying once fired brass that may have been fired in weapons with oversize chambers. It can make sizing challenging.
Old November 3, 2013, 06:18 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

You can remove the pitch seal with a Q-tip and mineral spirits if you are patient. However, you will discover the brass can be loose on bullets with it gone, so you might have to size the neck down slightly.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 3, 2013, 06:36 PM   #5
jepp2

Mineral spirits took a long time to dissolve it. So I just used Xylene as suggested by Widener's. That is some really good solvent.

I ran them through a Redding S bushing die for sizing. And that step was necessary.

I didn't absolutely need to remove the tar since I used the bushing die with no expander. But I decided to do it anyway.
Old November 3, 2013, 06:56 PM   #6
kilimanjaro

Once-fired military brass needs the pockets reamed out, that tool is $100. You didn't say how many pieces you are looking for, but if it's just a few hundred, go buy new commercial ammo and get your brass. You'll know it's genuinely been fired once that way.
Old November 3, 2013, 10:46 PM   #7
arizona98tj

Quote:
Once-fired military brass needs the pockets reamed out, that tool is $100.
That would be a tool at that price, but certainly not the only tool fully capable of doing the job.

You can pick up the RCBS primer pocket swager off Amazon for $33 and some change. It screws into your single stage press and handles both large and small pockets. That was the first one that came up in Google....they may be cheaper from other sources. Bought that one in the mid '70s. Used it a couple of weeks ago....works as good now as it did 40 years ago. There are other tools available from other manufacturers.
Old November 3, 2013, 11:13 PM   #8
Valornor

Is it bad that I use my inside neck chamfer to ream out the crimp on the .308 brass I have?

Looking for a new blog dealing with firearms and reloading, check out http://theheadstamp.com/
Old November 4, 2013, 09:42 AM   #9
F. Guffey

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.ht...&f=42&t=296444

I believe the big chamfer is a bad habit.

I use the RCBS trim Mate with a Lyman military crimp remover, Hatcher use his pocket knife. I also have the RCBS primer pocket swage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdkA7vDeaes

The rod can wad-up and bend if the case head thickness varies, but there is always the question "Who measures?".

In my long travels I have accumulator parts and pieces. Lots of die bodies, not many parts and pieces. I went to help a friend, he found a die body stamped 'PP', he was disappointed when he found the PP stood for Primer Pocket swage.

F. Guffey

Last edited by Unclenick; November 4, 2013 at 06:13 PM. Reason: merged posts to avoid one qualifying as drive-by
Old November 4, 2013, 03:24 PM   #10
arizona98tj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valornor
Is it bad that I use my inside neck chamfer to ream out the crimp on the .308 brass I have?
There are two basic processes by which to remove the primer crimp on military brass. You can cut it away or you can swage it out of the way.

I prefer to use the swaging method. There are several tools that will swage the pocket. Budget often times dictates which one gets used.

As for using a tool designed to chamfer a case mouth....I personally wouldn't use it to remove a primer pocket crimp. That being said, I'm sure there are lots that do.
Old November 18, 2013, 03:30 PM   #11
Hardbawl

If you figure the cost per reload, the cheapest .308 brass is Lapua. Hands down. Trust me, I've got that T-Shirt.

Improvise, Adapt, Overcome
Old November 18, 2013, 05:40 PM   #12
rduckwor

Just cut the swage with a 45 degree counter sink bit.

And yes, Lapua cost the most on the front, by pays off with the longest life.
Old November 18, 2013, 10:36 PM   #13
Bart B.

Hardbawl, how many reloads per .308 Win case do you get with Lapua brass?

I ask because several folks have got over 30 with Winchester brass, some as many as 60. Full power loads using full length sizing dies, too. Only case I ever counted exact number was a Federal that went 47 times before I ran out of test powder.