The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 9, 2016, 08:52 PM   #1
gman3

Yet another PA 10 Question

Not much of an AR mechanic at all, but I do own one of these things. I am interested in getting a different barrel and a free float tube.

I was looking at one at Fulton Armory's website (barrel, tube, and nut) which says it is fully DPMS/SR25 compatible, and I was wondering if this would per chance work on my PA 10 Upper Receiver.

Since I tend to be one you sometimes cannot leave well enough alone, can any of you who are in the know enlighten me on this a bit?

http://www.fulton-armory.com/barrelf...kthreaded.aspx

http://www.fulton-armory.com/handgua...ttern-3-1.aspx

Thanks
Old January 11, 2016, 02:00 AM   #2
Metal god

Sorry I don't have an absolute for you but I had the same question when the PA-10 first came out and I bought my lower from them . The barrel I was looking at was a Rainier LR308 pattern . I emailed PSA and there response was that the uppers are compatible with the DPMS LR-308 platform . I don't remember there specific wording in the e-mail but do remember thinking I was not completely comfortable with the answer .

In short , It should work , buuut

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 11, 2016, 02:39 AM   #3
stagpanther

I was supposed to have a PA10 upper come in-but PSA shorted my order so it may be a while before I get my PA10 upper to check that--but I suspect that even PSA uses the standard barrel extension and thread profile for their receivers--otherwise they would have to have someone cut different barrel patterns for them--extremely unlikely would be my guess. Be sure to check free-float rail configuration--I believe it needs to be "DPMS-low profile." To be on the safe side, I would not get any rail that involves any kind of fitting or extensin that goes around the receiver. I found on a PSA forum that use of a proprietary barrel nut is a "no-no"--I'm not sure what that means. Is your present configuration using a conventional glacier guard/delta ring type set-up? Last CS person I talked to at PSA with a compatibility question didn't even know the difference between an upper and a lower--so I wouldn't necessarily put a whole lot of trust in what they tell you unless you spoke to an actual engineer. I just hope there are no surprises--like gas system compatibility.

Last edited by stagpanther; January 11, 2016 at 03:05 AM.
Old January 11, 2016, 07:17 AM   #4
gman3

Yes, it has the standard delta ring with the stock hand guards. I would like to get another upper receiver from them to use with a heavy match barrel for some fun long range plinking. BTW, I get the same impression when I go there. I plan on using their parts, except for the barrel, nut, and tube.

Thanks for the replies.
Old January 11, 2016, 07:35 AM   #5
stagpanther

I tried looking at PSA's PA10 upper parts page to get some idea of what rails are compatible--none are listed (surprise). So I looked at their complete uppers and I see they use Midwest free-floats--which I believe is the same company the makes rails for DPMS--although looking at the pictures for both the Midwest rail and PSA's PA10 barrel nut it looks like the indexing for the gas tube is sorta of notched arrangement on the OD of the barrel nut--hope that's not an issue with the rail I have since the barrel nut does not have the same scheme. Anyways--my recommendation at this point would be go for the Midwest since that's apparently what PSA uses on their own assembled uppers.
Old January 11, 2016, 09:29 AM   #6
gman3

I may go by there today and see what they have. Should be interesting. I think their retail store and internet store are two different operations.
Old January 11, 2016, 09:32 AM   #7
stagpanther

If you do--see what they mean by "proprietary barrel not won't work." and let us know. : )
Old January 11, 2016, 06:49 PM   #8
gman3

Couldn't make it by there today. Alas, work got in the way. Will go tomorrow.
Old January 12, 2016, 03:08 AM   #9
shaunpain

A DPMS/SR-25 pattern barrel and handguard should work. When you get your handguard, ensure that you are getting the low tang DPMS (low profile). I prefer Midwest Industries handguards myself so I'd recommend you stick with them!