The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 10, 2015, 05:35 PM   #26
Kosh75287

I'm not sure if this is any better...

I might have tried to wave him toward me, hoping to explain that my car's aberrant behavior was the result of a blow-out, and by no means any malicious intent on my part. In a large majority of would-be confrontations, when I had the presence of mind to remain calm and explain quietly, civilly and deliberately, what the problem is (a behavior for which I am NOT Universally known), the confrontation evaporated.

On the other hand, every time the guy drove by, I would THINK it was obvious to him that you'd had mechanical difficulty of SOME kind. If he can't put that together with your inadvertent swerve, then he sounds too dumb to live in an armed and free (well MOSTLY, anyway) society. If he DID put it together with your inadvertent swerve, and simply did not care, then HE IS too dumb (and hostile) to live in an armed and free society.

If you DO get him out of the vehicle and he is still belligerent, then at least he's separated from the passenger, if he endangers your life in a way requiring a lethal response from you. I say that this is what I'd LIKE TO THINK I WOULD DO, but who can be sure until they're there? PERSONALLY, I don't see a lot wrong with how you handled it. You tried ignoring him, then tolerating him, then warning him that you would defend yourself. Were you supposed to TEXT an explanation to him? I don't see how.

Anyway, may all of your most troublesome times be no more troublesome than that time.
Old January 11, 2015, 05:05 PM   #27
FireForged

I have no real criticism, there are many ways to handle this situation but if you are asking...

dont second guess yourself.. if its bad enough that you are calling 911 then follow though and request help.

I would not have continued changing the tire after they swerved at me the first time. I would have got myself off the road, called 911 again and tell them to step-it-up.
Old January 11, 2015, 05:23 PM   #28
Pond, James Pond

There's always a better way to do things in retrospect.

Based on the OP, my guess is that the hot-head had pulled over further up ahead in order to "discuss the issue". Not having his quarrel come to him he got back in and went looking for it.

A smart person would have remembered the swerve and seen the flat and put 2 and 2 together.
In fact a smart person would not have gone back looking for trouble in the first place, unless they had reason to assume the other person had crashed or something.

All in all, I agree with the "get the car between you and the aggressor" ethos. I also think that reporting it to the police after the first drive-by was a good call. Calling them back and asking for assistance was also a good call. I perhaps would not have drawn, but would have been ready to, particularly if my own vehicle was acting as a buffer zone between us.

Bottom-line is that the OP is unharmed and did not need to take extreme action to stay that way. That can't be a bad thing.

Some people are just socially maladjusted. That drive seemed to be one of them.
Old January 11, 2015, 07:16 PM   #29
NateKirk

Quote:
. Unless he lives in a "stand your ground" state, he may not have that right.
"stand your ground" laws don't exist. It's a term made up by the media to make the self defense laws that are found in every state sound more controversial in order to boost ratings.

Seeing as how the conflict was resolved, no one got hurt, the victim wasn't arrested, and the police said that he did nothing wrong, I think it's safe to say that he did everything correctly.

― --Thomas Jefferson
Old January 11, 2015, 07:51 PM   #30
Jim567

This reminds me of a bad 1970s horror movie.
They always escalated because the victims had no way to defend themselves.
Glad you came through it safe!
Old January 11, 2015, 08:02 PM   #31
Metalboy

""stand your ground" laws don't exist."

I think the general public calls them that.

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal...ound-laws.html

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal...ound-laws.html