The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 18, 2014, 03:01 PM   #26
kilimanjaro

Lots of good advice.

Second Chupps above, if you're not spending good money on a holster and belt, you're wasting what you do spend.

Also, be sure you carry daily, whenever you leave the house.
Old July 18, 2014, 05:34 PM   #27

Overkill worked for my comfort level. I got my permit on a chilly day in December a couple years ago. The first two days I had it while walking the dog I carried 4 handguns in various locations. After that carrying one was never an issue comfort wise.
Old July 18, 2014, 07:01 PM   #28
Nick_C_S

Related Story

As mentioned, I've only been carrying some 8 months. And yes, I do tend to "fidgit" with my shirt - making sure it's pulled down. I'm getting better at not worrying so much. When I first started carrying, I felt like I was doing something wrong - social conditioning, I guess.

I digress. . .

At the grocery story today, I saw my local range's head RSO. Knowing that he's carrying, I thought to myself: Here's my opportunity to put my mind at ease. . . I'll be able to see someone who I know is carrying in a real world situation; and I can see for myself how well concealed he is.

Yeah, that backfired. He was wearing a thin windbreaker and was severely printing right through it. I could see the slide, the handle, and even the grip extension! So much for putting my mind at ease. (I know. I know. Him printing has nothing to do with me. This was purely a psychological exercise - or at least a attempt at it.)

On another amusing side note: I thought to myself - considering we're both packin', this would not be a good time for a bad guy to hold the place up.
Old July 19, 2014, 01:03 AM   #29
Koda94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpena
I'm going to start carrying my HK45c for the first time as soon as my holster arrives...........The weather in south Texas is pretty hot and humid year round so I'm worried about the comfort factor amongst other things.
Quote:
I bought a mitch rosen USD II for my carry holster. I want to carry pretty much all day so I'm curious to how it feels to carry concealed after a normal day?
In my experience the most comfortable IWB holster for all day carry is one of the hybred (leather + kydex) tuckable holsters especially in hot weather.

This might depend on what you consider a normal day but for me the holster/gun is subject to many movements from repetitive sitting, standing in/out of cars etc. and the tuckables wide spread belt loops pretty much eliminate any cant (angle) movement on the holster that disrupts proper placement for comfort especially angle.

Also, a good holster allows you to reholster one handed (stays open) and always retains the pistol even without belt tension.... (dont be that guy in the bathroom stall when he drops trou and the holster flips over upside down and sends the pistol sliding under to the next stall).
Old July 19, 2014, 10:36 AM   #30
Willie Lowman

Have a cover garment that will continue to cover if you bend over at the waist.

Have a good quality belt and a good holster.

Adjust your gun in private, don't grab the pistol/hostler through your shirt and fidget with it.

There are many good things written about using the restroom while carrying. Look them up. Practice that at home.
Old July 19, 2014, 12:00 PM   #31
boondocker385

Have a plan in case you go somewhere where you can't carry....safe in the car.
Old July 20, 2014, 05:44 PM   #32
Deja vu

My advise is this: your gun is not as obvious to others as you think it is.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old July 23, 2014, 03:52 PM   #33
Skans

Here's my very opinionated advice:

1. Cary something small - .380, 38sp or small 9mm. Most 45's are just too big for comfortable carry in the deep south. Ruger LCP, Ruger LC9, one of the small Kahr pistols, Colt Mustang, Sig P238, Boberg XR9-S, Rohrbaugh R9, Chief's Special - all good carry guns. There are plenty of others.

2. Make sure it is light.

3. Make sure you don't have to alter the way you dress to conceal carry. Design your holster/gun setup around the way you dress.

4. Consider pocket carry with a good pocket holster that looks more like a wallet. Otherwise, inside waistband is the way to go.
Old July 23, 2014, 06:07 PM   #34
stephen426

Some good advice so far but here are some actual tips on what to do and what NOT to do when carrying.

Clothing:
- If you are getting an Inside the Waistband style holster, make sure you have pants that are an inch to 2 inches bigger than you wear. The bigger the holster (padding), the bigger the pants.
- Make sure the holster is comfortable against your skin or else concealed carry will get old quick!
- Dark colors will "print a whole lot less than light colors. Wear thicker shirts (polos rather than dress shirts or t-shirts) to avoid printing.
- If you are going Outside the Waistband, make sure your shirt is long enough to cover it and thick enough to not print. Again, dark colors will conceal much better and not print nearly as much.
- Based on your gun, you will not be pocket carrying this gun. For those who carry pocket pistols, pleated pants are the only way to go.
-The belt issue has been beaten to death, but a good sturdy belt will keep everything in place.

Actions: You are going to be self conscious at first. It is unavoidable.
- Wear your gun in your carry rig at home ALL the time to get used to it. The more you are used to the feel, the less likely you will think about it.
- Have someone "check you out" to ensure you are properly concealed in your carry rig and normal attire.
- Do NOT reach up with your strong side. You have a much greater chance of exposing your gun.
- Do NOT bend over to pick things up or tie your shoes as the butt of your gun WILL print. Instead, kneel down on your strong side knee.
- Experiment with carry positions: If you sit a lot, SOB (Small of Back) carry will be very uncomfortable. I personally prefer carrying at 3 o'clock since it is the easiest to protect (your arm protects your weapons from bumps) and the hardest to stop (harder for someone to stop you from drawing than other positions). I doubt you will go with a shoulder rig which requires that a jacket be worn at all times.
- If you are going to adjust your gun, pretend you are stretching and use your arm rather than your back to adjust the angle of the gun.
-PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!! If you can't get your gun, quickly and smoothly, it is useless to you (unless you are not in the line of fire).

That's all I can think of for now. Hope it helps!
Old July 23, 2014, 07:40 PM   #35
jimbob86

I won't suggest you get a smaller, lighter, more concealable gun ....... you'll do that of your own accord soon enough......
Old July 23, 2014, 09:49 PM   #36
jason_iowa

Practice your draw from concealment A LOT! I agree with a lot of the stuff said above.

Don't worry about it 99% of people will not notice it. I carry an N Frame revolver or 2 and a 7inch blade all year round. Only people that hug me notice.

HK makes a nice pistol congrats and good luck.
Old July 23, 2014, 10:58 PM   #37
45Gunner

Pretty much all the advice is solid. Remember, if you are going to carry concealed, do it all the time. Believe it or not, you will get so used to your gun being there, that it will feel as natural as wearing pants/shorts. And it will take a very short while before you realize that people really are not paying attention to your gun that they really can't see. If you go to a public toilet, don't let your gun fall out and hit the floor. Even more important, don't forget to take it with you when you leave the restroom.
NRA Life Member
Old July 23, 2014, 11:43 PM   #38
FM12

RE: Use of force

You can shoot em till they're down, but you cant shoot em till they're dead.

Your self defense goal is to stop the threat, not to kill them.
Old July 23, 2014, 11:50 PM   #39
DavidG.

Wear the holster, but not the gun, for the first couple of days. If your holster is leather or some other material that can be broken in, it will. Even if not, your body will become accustomed to something extra there that wasn't before other those couple of days.
Old July 24, 2014, 09:22 AM   #40
Rampant_Colt

It's typical to have multiple holsters to cover a wide range of scenarios. Probably less so in warmer climates down south like in Texas; but in colder northern areas where heavy winter clothing is worn, you can get away with using less restrictive holsters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6459 View Post
Overkill worked for my comfort level. I got my permit on a chilly day in December a couple years ago. The first two days I had it while walking the dog I carried 4 handguns in various locations. After that carrying one was never an issue comfort wise
FOUR handguns? Where do you live that the threat level is so high? No reply required..
Old July 24, 2014, 10:07 AM   #41
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Rampant_Colt, it sounds as though he was testing for comfort, not from being worried about need.
Old July 24, 2014, 01:31 PM   #42
Alpena

Quote:
I won't suggest you get a smaller, lighter, more concealable gun ....... you'll do that of your own accord soon enough......
Unless I can find a reasonably priced Colt Magnum Carry or P7 I don't think I'll quit my current setup.

Well I finally got around to carry my HK45CT Tuesday. I wore it during my trips to Home Depot and Target under a thin black t - shirt and slacks. Other than the 10 round extended mag making me carry at 1 O'clock position everything went fine. The weight didn't bother me at all and after a while I quit occasionally pulling down on my shirt. I've already ordered an 8 round mag w/ a flat baseplate to take care of excess printing. All and all everything's working out great and I want to thank everyone that's responded, your advice has been immensely appreciated. Thank you TFL!
Old July 24, 2014, 06:30 PM   #43
Chuck Dye

Tall or extra tall shirts, even if you are not tall.
Old July 24, 2014, 10:05 PM   #44
gyvel

Know exactly when you CAN and CANNOT use deadly force.
Old July 27, 2014, 06:50 PM   #45
alex78

My rules of carry.

Contrary to my ID I am now 85, carrying the last 20 years.
my rules;
1-Always carry
2-The same gun.
3-The same way.
4-The same place
5-Move
The event will more often than not be sudden and close.
your reaction should be instinctive you have no time to;
Did I carry, What am I carrying, is it in my pocket, is it in my belt or under my arm.
Since you are reacting to him, You must make him react to you by moving as you drew.
And lastly Practice, Practice,...................!
Old July 27, 2014, 07:10 PM   #46
fire4606

Always carry.

Never tell anyone you carry.
Old August 2, 2014, 06:44 AM   #47
Brit

Quote:
My rules of carry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contrary to my ID I am now 85, carrying the last 20 years.
my rules;
1-Always carry
2-The same gun.
3-The same way.
4-The same place
5-Move
The event will more often than not be sudden and close.
your reaction should be instinctive you have no time to;
Did I carry, What am I carrying, is it in my pocket, is it in my belt or under my arm.
Since you are reacting to him, You must make him react to you by moving as you drew.
And lastly Practice, Practice,...................!
Alex 78,

I am only a young Chap of 78, but you have nailed it, above!

Reference Instinctive, I spent 5 years as a Bouncer (part time) in Liverpool UK.

I don't have a flat nose! But broke a few, I am 5'9" now, used to be 5'11", a bit heavier, but only a couple of pounds, very quick hands (never lost any hand speed) and I can state, right now, if you have to think! You are done, like dinner.
Old August 4, 2014, 09:45 PM   #48
smokehouse4444

I just recently obtained my CHL as well, and I can attest to so many of the things that folks have previously talked about. I also live in Texas, so the heat is such a factor in how you carry.

The "fidgiting with the shirt", the constant feeling that someone knows, the weird feeling that you are doing something wrong, etc... goes away with consistent carry. My trick was to force myself to "forget" I was carrying. It worked...would make me feel more comfortable.

What works for me...

I occasionally pocket carry. The holster has to be good, BUT the pocket has to be big enough or the gun will print like crazy. I've looked in the mirror and just laughed when wearing certain shorts.

I bought a few cheap holsters to try out where I would like to carry IWB. After much experimentation, it became apparent that for me the 10 o'clock cross draw with a "Sticky" holster ended up working the best. My primary carry is a Kahr CM9, and it absolutely disappears, is very light and comfortable, I can sit in the car, and it is pretty damn fast to present. Even when hugging someone they don't know it is there unless you are full body pressing them. What is also cool about the Sticky (or Remora/Stays-Put) type holster is that you can adjust it easily for the situation, and it stays right where you want it.

Closer to your carry gun needs, I also carry my SIG P245 45auto which is a little closer in size to your HK. I was very surprised that it disappeared with a Sticky almost as easily as the little Kahr did. I actually walked in the living room one night after the holster arrived and asked my wife to tell me where it was. She thought I was trying to trick her by not having one at all, and was doubly surprised when I showed her that not only was I carrying, but it was the bigger SIG.

The Sticky-type holsters are not that expensive either, so they are easy to try out. Anyway, good luck, and let us know what you end up sticking with.
Old August 5, 2014, 01:16 PM   #49
P5 Guy

Nobody is really paying much attention to you, relax.
Old August 5, 2014, 01:32 PM   #50
Marty8613

Got my CHL back in February. I now mostly carry my Taurus 85. Why? It is the one with the best holster. It also fits in a pocket.

It isn't my lightest, that's the BT380.
It isn't my favorite, that's the Witness .45 4.5" (Yes I can carry this easily)
I haven't yet bought a real belt - which makes my Firestorm .40 too heavy - though I shoot best with this one (point and shoot), Can't touch the Witness using sights.
It isn't the most concealable - wooden grips and shiny nickel.
It isn't the highest capacity, 5 with speedloader

It is - the most comfortable
- the fastest to draw
- the newest to me - always a factor
- the most reliable - not a jam one! Heh - revolver vs semi joke
- the best balanced when carrying - another revolver plus

So, in short, no great belt, one really good holster and a gun that fits most outfits, this is determines what and how I carry now. Cold weather will likely get me back to the .40 or .45 with one of the other two as a BUG. Better holsters will expand this. Looking at swaprigholsters for the cheapest all around option for all.