The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 27, 2009, 08:15 PM   #1
iamdug

Mauser op...

Are you supposed to flip the little safety lever on the bolt all the way to the right right after racking in a shell and before firing?
Old May 27, 2009, 09:23 PM   #2
SDC

The safety is a 3-position type where one side is "Off safe", and allows the bolt to be worked and the rifle to be fired as fast as you can squeeze the trigger, the other side is "Full safe", which blocks the trigger AND the bolt, and the middle position blocks the trigger, but still allows the bolt to be worked to load the chamber if desired.
Old May 28, 2009, 12:36 AM   #3
Scorch

All the way to the right would lock the bolt, making the rifle safe and incapable of firing. To fire the rifle, the safety lever goes all the way to the left.
Old May 28, 2009, 06:55 AM   #4
Jim Watson

The center postion on the Mauser wing safety is largely for takedown. It is to allow opening and removing the bolt and removal of the bolt sleeve and firing pin from the bolt body.
Old May 28, 2009, 12:49 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

A little nitpick here. On the Mauser rifle, neither the center nor the right (safe) position blocks the trigger, and the trigger should be free to move. The safety blocks the cocking piece, which is attached to the firing pin.

Just FWIW, one of the improvements of the 1898 Mauser over previous models is the use of the front lugs on the firing pin that fit into cuts on the inside of the bolt. That prevents the rifle from firing if the firing pin should break off the cocking piece while the bolt is unlocked.

Jim
Old May 28, 2009, 05:54 PM   #6
PetahW

Yet, every day another internet expert will insist that a pre-98 Mauser, like a '91, '93, or a '95, is just fine for conversion to a high-intensity cartridge. (sigh) :barf:

Old May 28, 2009, 08:07 PM   #7
iamdug

I agree with Jim...

JIM!!! The man with all the answers. You are right, even if the safety lever is all the way to the right, the bolt wont budge but the gun will fire. That was a big help. im afraid of my Mauser because it's old and I've heard horror stories about the bolt exploding in somebody's face upon firing if it wasn't secured by the safety!
Old May 28, 2009, 10:57 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

WAIT A MINUTE! I never said that if the safety is to the right the gun will fire, I said the trigger will be free to move, but the firing pin should be locked by the safety and shouldn't fall.

IF YOUR RIFLE WILL FIRE WITH THE SAFETY TO THE RIGHT OR IN THE CENTER, IT IS DEFECTIVE. Please have it looked at by a gunsmith before even thinking about loading it.

Iamdug, I am afraid you have very little understanding of how that rifle functions and I strongly suggest you take it to a gunsmith or at least a knowledgeable friend for some instruction before attempting to load and fire it.

Hi, PetahW,

I agree on not pushing the limits on the older rifles, but that minor refinement has nothing to do with strength. I doubt that there were any significant number of firing pin failures; it is more an illustration of how Mauser was determined to make the 1898 the perfect rifle, solving all real and potential problems in one swoop.

Jim
Old May 29, 2009, 08:00 AM   #9
PetahW

As amply illustrated above, sometimes safety is better than strength.