The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 12, 1999, 10:36 AM   #1
wp

I am looking into purchasing a springfield m-6 scout rifle in 22lr/410 combo and was wanting to hear if it's worth the money?. I am also wondering if anyone knows where i might find info on 410 shot/slug performance and balistics as it may help in my decision. thank you in advance and all help is appreciated
Old July 12, 1999, 07:26 PM   #2
Mike Baugh

WP , I think if you run a search you will dig up some comments . I have 2 of them and they are extremely accurate with the .22 barrel , more so than some of my better .22's . The trigger is hard to get used to but they make a great cabin/truck/camper gun . I think the shotgun barrel could be choked a little tighter but that is my only complaint . The Springfield website has cases , slings , scope mounts , etc. for them . Good luck , Mike...
Old July 13, 1999, 12:43 AM   #3
Jeff Thomas

Mike, it looks like the stainless steel model would be a good way to go, considering the 'survival' use. Did you put the optics on yours, or did you stick with the iron sights? What advice could you provide?
Old July 13, 1999, 05:33 PM   #4
Mike Baugh

Jeff , I am partial to peep sights so I stayed stock . When I purchased my Scouts they did not have the stainless in or I would have went that way . I picked up 1 and went to the range , it shot so well I went back the next day and got the other one . I think the trick to shooting these well is to use 1 finger on the back of the trigger "lever" at the hump and take your time . Off the bench at 50 yards mine are tack drivers with Winchester Power Points , but you have to be serious about your form . I need to tear into 1 and see if I can tweek the trigger . They are a great value in a neat gun in my oppinion , I paid around $129 when I picked mine up last fall . Good luck , Mike...
Old July 14, 1999, 07:12 PM   #5
Jeff Thomas

Mike, thanks for the tips. Take care.
Old July 18, 1999, 02:19 PM   #6
owl

That M6 is the cutest little thing, and shoots very well, for what it is. Most wholesalers have them on backorder.
Old July 18, 1999, 02:22 PM   #7
owl

Does anyone have any experience with the 22 Hornet? If so what kind of groups can you get?
Old July 25, 1999, 12:42 PM   #8
wp

Thank you all who replied. I went looking for a item the other day and ran across a M6 scout in black parkarized and 22lr/410 and i was so impressed i bought the darn thing. I asked about the ss and was told they are hard to get as not many have been made yet. I am not hard on guns so the park finish is ok and in a real hunting/survival situation might be better as it is non reflective. Any help about ammo would be appreciated as it will save me the cost of trial and error. Thanks again and will let you all know how it shoots after i get a chance to go to the range.