The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 19, 2015, 04:44 PM   #1
nightowl64

Can anyone in AZ recommend a CCW instructor?

???
Old January 19, 2015, 09:25 PM   #2
Doc Holliday 1950

instructor

Why don't you call your local PD and ask who they consider a good instructor is. I did this for myself and for my wife. We used different instructors but that's a different subject.
My home PD were quite helpful in choosing the right instructor for us. Just a thought IMHO.
Old January 19, 2015, 09:29 PM   #3
bedbugbilly

You don't say where in AZ you are? Check with shooting ranges in your area if there are any.

I'm south of Tucson. When I took the class a few years ago - I took it at the "Marksman" indoor range in Tucson. They offer a number of classes (or did at that time). It was a good class with good instructors and I'd take a refresher with them any time. Good class room and good range time.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 19, 2015, 09:41 PM   #4
rrockefe

Call Mike Morgan at Buccaneer Shooting (623-738-7531). Good guy.
Old January 19, 2015, 10:02 PM   #5
nightowl64

thanx...
Old January 22, 2015, 02:30 PM   #6
kjd2121

http://www.azccwclasses.com/

Excellent Defensive course - And inexpensive
Old January 24, 2015, 02:47 AM   #7
slicers63

Glendale community college has a good firearm training program. I believe they still do police officer training also.
Old January 24, 2015, 10:51 PM   #8
Outlaw75

Ask around the next time you are at Ben Avery. The woman who teaches their beginner shooting classes is a range employee and I expect she could recommend someone.
Old January 26, 2015, 04:02 PM   #9
Reloader54

Can anyone in AZ

I live in Tempe, AZ. I also belong to Rio Salado Sportsman's Club. They do have a List of Firearms Instructors on their web Site "www.rsscaz.com". When you go to their site just click on the link for Firearms Instructor and it will bring up a list of instructors that teach at the range. I took my CCW Class from Jim Neff. He has his own Firearms School as well. He does teach most types of Firearms Training classes as well. so if you live in the Greater Phoenix Area look and the Rio Salado Sportsman's Club Site. You can also check out the NRA Web Site as well. They also have a list of places around the country where you can someone in your area that teaches Firearms Training classes as well. I hope that this helps.

Proud supporter of the Second Amendment, Bill of Rights, and the US Constitution. Also believe in Small Government and one that is limited by the people.
Old January 26, 2015, 06:54 PM   #10
Arizona Fusilier

My original CCW was taught by Gunsite, who came into town and taught at Ben Avery to exploit the craze. Very good training (I had Gunsite alumni with me that said I basically got the first two says of their basic pistol course). Alas, I do not believe they are still doing that.

Since then, I have had renewal courses by Shooters World in Phoenix and Caswell's in Mesa. I would recommend either of them.

Last edited by Arizona Fusilier; January 27, 2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old January 26, 2015, 07:22 PM   #11
TXAZ

I got my first one at Scottsdale Gun Club. Absolutely excellent program.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 30, 2015, 06:59 PM   #12
dakota1911

Arizona is a big state. Where in Arizona?
Old February 6, 2015, 12:35 AM   #13
phwe9774

Just out of curiosity, why are you looking for a CCW instructor in AZ? There's no CCW requirement anymore
Old February 6, 2015, 11:20 AM   #14
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by phwe9774
Just out of curiosity, why are you looking for a CCW instructor in AZ? There's no CCW requirement anymore
There are a number of good reasons to have a concealed weapons permit from Arizona (Arizona does still issue them), including:
  • Without a permit one may not carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol or in a bar. With a permit one may, as long as (1) he doesn't consume alcohol; and (2) the restaurant or bar isn't properly posted. When I've visited Arizona, my permit made it much easier to go out to dinner.

• With an Arizona permit one avoids possible exposure under the federal Gun Free School Zone law.

• An Arizona permit is recognized in quite a few other States.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old February 6, 2015, 01:37 PM   #15
schmellba99

This is the guy I used when I lived there - he's a MCSO that moonlights with his shooting instructions. Great guy, very personable and very knowledgeable.

Black Wolf Defense

Classes we offer:

CCW (AZ) Private classes can be held depending on student count
CCW (Utah)
Range Safety Officer
Handgun Marksmanship 1
Armed & Un-armed Security Guard

Phone: 623-628-2196
1313 North Litchfield Road
http://www.azccwclasses.com/
Old February 7, 2015, 06:00 PM   #16
pittspilot

I would recommend Glenn Stilson of http://www.independencetraining.com

Winston S. Churchill

"The American Republic is finished when the Congress realizes that it can bribe the people with the peoples money"

De Touqueville