The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 31, 2015, 03:46 PM   #1
Marlin97

Superb cerebral training tool

I am a strong supporter of Ayoob's basic ranking of skill set priorities. The most important skill for self defense or gun fighting is situational awareness (stay away from bad areas), then sound tactics, then shot placement (marksmanship), then gun selection, then ammo selection.
Simply put, the training that I consider the most valuable/beneficial does not need ammo. Rather, the practice of thinking through various scenarios while under stress and making the correct decisions which covers the first two skills listed above.

If you are motivated to perform at least a little realistic training in the use of a firearm for self defense, you may be interested in a tool that I have found. I think my mental preparedness increased tremendously after just one session in an electronic shooting simulator. The full room size laser based setup. There is one near where I live here in the DFW metroplex. The place is called DFW Shooters Academy in Highland Village near Flower Mound.
The mental aspect of gun fighting is what most of us believe to be the most important. Even Wild Bill Hickok said that. Anyone with an interest in real training and not just the macho bs part of this hobby will want to give it a look see. They will give a free test run demo. I highly recommend the use of this training aid for the brain. It is like getting experience in deadly force encounters without the legal fees.
Old January 31, 2015, 05:53 PM   #2
g.willikers

Welcome to the forum.
There's more and more of these popping up across the country.
The first ones were done with a timed controlled slide projector on a movie screen on a live fire range.
Before flat screen tvs replaced the crts, there were some excellent shoot-em-up video games, using very accurate light guns.
They made very good training tools, too.
Unfortunately, the light guns don't work on the new fangled tvs.
There's some of these simulators at Gander Mt. stores.
https://gandermtnacademy.gandermount...ors/simulators

Last edited by g.willikers; January 31, 2015 at 05:59 PM.
Old January 31, 2015, 08:22 PM   #3
Derbel McDillet

From what I've seen these training gizmos simply train you to stand there and get shot.
Old January 31, 2015, 09:40 PM   #4
pax

Like every other type of scenario-based training, an electronic shooting simulator is only as good as the instructor running it.

That's neither an insult of the tool nor an accolade for it. Just an observation.

pax