The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 30, 2014, 11:00 PM   #26
Shadi Khalil

As long as there is no set back, 5 years is nothing.
Old December 31, 2014, 12:27 AM   #27
hartcreek

I was bear hunting this year with ammo I reloaded 25 years ago. I have had black power pistols charged for five years and all chambers went bang after I had dropped it in a puddle.

I have two dozen CCWs to chose from on any day so I aint cycling ammo that I know will be fine for my great nephew when he is sixty.....he is seven now.

I work up my practice loads and deffensive loads so that they have the same point of impact and I make sure each works in each gun and then use practice ammo because it is much easyer to clean a bit of lead from hundred year old guns then copper.
Old December 31, 2014, 08:40 AM   #28
Don P

Quote:
Well I shot off my 2 mags worth today. Every round went downrange with zero problems. I took advantage of some good prices and bought 100 rounds of defensive ammo, and plan to cycle it more frequently. Probably gonna go for cycling twice a year.
Why change out SD ammo? You proved the point that ammo as some have stated does not have a shelf life. Personally I think changing out ammo is a waste of time. I have reloads that are over 5 years old and WOW they still go bang after ALL that time. I'm so lucky I'm going to buy a lotto ticket
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old December 31, 2014, 11:22 AM   #29
gbclarkson

How to determine gunpowder shelf-life:

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/uncat...er-shelf-life/

The article states that powder loaded in bullets can last a very long time. .50 BMG used in Desert Storm was loaded during WWII. My father-in-law shoots 30-06 issued during the Korean War. No problems.

Maybe we should involve the Mythbusters production staff in answering this question.
Old January 3, 2015, 11:10 AM   #30
toddster

defensive ammo

Hello, I recommend that you turn over your defensive ammunition every year. Every quarter or six months when you shoot start shooting 5 rounds or so, for verification.