The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: What would you have done?
I wouldnt have drawn. 0 0%
Same thing i would have done. 0 0%
He would be on the floor. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old December 4, 2014, 10:27 AM   #1
GunsmithFox

What would you do?

A bit of a scary yet funny thing happened last night to me and I thought I would post it and see if I jumped the gun a little bit or was right in my actions. Staff if this isn't in the right area please move it.

A little bit of background so that everyone knows why my buddy just came into my house. Today we were planning on going hunting early in the morning around 6:30am. I told him to come and wake me up if I was sleeping. It is an hour drive to our hunting land and we normally grab some breakfast before we start the drive. Also we do mess with each other quite a lot.

Heres what happened:

At around 4am my buddy comes over to the house and walks in (I told him to because I wouldn't wake up to the knocking and my alarm might not wake me up) He decides to come upstairs to the bedroom (the bedroom door was shut) and slam his hand off the door and open the door quickly in an attempt to scare me and my GF.

As soon as his hand slammed the door I shot awake, grabbed my 9mm and took the safety off. I aimed at the door as he was opening it. It took about 3 seconds for him to tell me who he was. I think it was partly do to him not expecting me to be pointing a gun at him. Once he said who he was I put the gun away and told him that hes lucky I didn't shoot him.

So my question: Should I have waited to find out who it was before drawing or would you have done the same?

Remington 770 30-06
Old December 4, 2014, 11:33 AM   #2
BarryLee

Quote:
I told him to because I wouldn't wake up to the knocking and my alarm might not wake me up
Glad everything worked out. Sounds like you’re creating a very risky situation by having people enter your home and wake you up. I guess you handled it as well as possible, but you probably need a better alarm, phone, etc. so folks aren’t entering your home to wake you up.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 4, 2014, 11:39 AM   #3
TailGator

It sounds to me like your friend did exactly as he was instructed - come into your house and wake you. You would really have problems if you shot someone who was in your house at your invitation; if he wanted to press the issue, it is conceivable that you would have problems even having drawn on him in that situation.

Leaving your door unlocked and waiting to respond until an intruder is in your bedroom is a poor overall security plan. If you want to go somewhere in the early morning, you need to get an alarm that will wake you. I would not accept an invitation to enter someone's house at that hour, and doubly so if the invitation was to come to the bedroom where a couple was in bed together.

The upshot is that I can't even answer the poll because there is no way under the sun that I would be in the position you were in.
Old December 4, 2014, 11:49 AM   #4
GunsmithFox

Normally when he comes and wakes me up he just knocks on the bedroom door, not slam his hands against it making it sound like hes trying to break in. And I actually have quite a loud alarm on my phone, it just depends on how worn out I am that night.

And I don't invite anyone to enter my home unless its needed like it was. He knocked, I didn't respond at all and he came in to wake me up.

Remington 770 30-06
Old December 4, 2014, 12:04 PM   #5
Glenn E. Meyer

A discussion of irresponsible behavior doesn't get us much.

Simple solution - use a phone to announce arrival. Don't mess with each other if you have guns ready to go.

Closed.