The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old October 7, 2013, 12:25 AM   #1
ClydeFrog

EJ Owens; Legallyconcealed.org....

I was going over a website & Youtube video clip by a firearms/tactics instructor; "EJ Owens". Owens looks & speaks like a real hard-charger. His website bio/background states he was a "commissioned officer" in the US Army & that he has a detailed spec ops/counter-terrorist resume.
He's also reportedly a "EMT" & firefighter.
The "home defense" DVD/video clip on his website has a few flaws/problems IMO. Owens comes off as very uptight & aggressive(see James Yeager & a few of his Tactical Response videos).
Owens does impart a few important points for new/entry level training students but Im still a tad leery of his overall program.
The company website; www.legallyconcealed.org says Owens is based in Orlando Florida but he does a lot of DoD/SOCOM/special ops classes all over.

Im curious if any other TFL members saw his videos/DVDs or know if EJ Owens is legit.

PM me if you want to stay private/not share your remarks.
Thx;
ClydeFrog
Old October 7, 2013, 01:41 AM   #2
Psychedelic Bang

I've never heard of Owens but I've seen a bunch of youtube vids on James Yeager and perhaps this applies...

I always learn better, from a person that I like, who's style of teaching that I enjoy.

If you can not see yourself drinking a beer with the fella, than you probably do not need to buy his products. Yeager, and Owens are not the only two experts in the world.

Personally, I would not buy a Yeager video. I looked at the Owens website and thought to myself, "tacky."
Old October 7, 2013, 02:11 AM   #3
ClydeFrog

Awww Shucks....

Owens strikes me as the "aww shucks" country boy but he also gets really uptight really fast.
The dark edits/production values were kinda creepy too.
As I stated, I agreed with some of Owens statements but I think he puts to much on a "new" or starter level student to deal with.
A US Army Ranger or ForceRecon Marine? Yeah, they'd be able to learn from a cadre like Owens but not a young single mother or a guy who's only firearm skills came from a video game system or a Daisy BB gun as a 10 year old kid.

I take issue with Owens gripes about snub revolvers & the need to have a "bullet hose"(my term not his). Yes a 9x19mm can fire 15/20/30 round magazines which is superior to a revolver but are you going to shoot a robber/subject 10 or 15 times? Are you going to going to defend your home/property with a vest or range bag with 10 17rd pistol magazines?
I highly doubt it.
Most lethal force events(to include home intruders or break-ins) involve approx 3 rounds, in 3 seconds at a avg range of 0 to 3 feet.
A 5/6 shot .38spl or .357magnum that you can aim, shoot or use one-handed is far better than a large pistol or M4 rifle that you just purchased.
Owens(who says he's a veteran/US military instructor) knocks the 1911a1 platform too. Which seems extremely rare for most "operators" & license holders/avid gun enthusiasts.
I would agree with Owens that a 1911 .45acp is not a good home protection pick for a new shooter(novice) but military veterans & advanced gun owners have packed the 1911a1 models for decades. Are they now doing something wrong?

I could go on but I'll wait to get more TFL input...
Old October 7, 2013, 12:33 PM   #4
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
The "home defense" DVD/video clip on his website has a few flaws/problems IMO.
What flaws? Didn't see any references you noted to compare.

I happen to agree with his assesment but not the way he would not just come out and say it......get advice from somone with knlowledge and experience, not from a video game.

Quote:
Owens strikes me as the "aww shucks" country boy but he also gets really uptight really fast.
When you are trying to emphasize something of importance, especially something that can save your life, it might seem uptight. What you have to realize is how important his points are. His emphasis ("uptight") is from comments made by people who had a lot less experience and training that evidently bothered him. Especially when they go around saying things that could get someone hurt.

Quote:
but I think he puts to much on a "new" or starter level student to deal with.
In what way? I may be missing it but it seemed pretty simple and straight forward to me.

I can see why someone would prefer more of a teacher than a coach when learning about things like this but this Coach-like approach to teaching is effective in getting your attention in order to make certain points. It's not like he is teaching basket weaving or sensitivity training.

Quote:
Im curious if any other TFL members saw his videos/DVDs or know if EJ Owens is legit.
I have watched his videos before. I cannot tell you with 100% certainty that he is "LEGIT". The term is too broad. If you mean does he know what he is talking about, I see someone with experience and knowledge of the subject.
Old October 7, 2013, 12:59 PM   #5
ClydeFrog

Post #3....

In post #3 I explained my views.
I feel Owens comes on way to strong(agro as the kids say today, ) for new/entry level gun owners.
Owens can get emotional & direct when discussing security issues but many people(the general audience) would get turned off by it.
I would say that EJ Owens is correct about using a 20ga shotgun for home defense if that's what works best for all the adult family members(couples).

I disagree with parts of the video/EJ Owens doctrine but each viewer can take away what they want from it.

CF
Old October 7, 2013, 02:25 PM   #6
Psychedelic Bang

Quote:
Most lethal force events(to include home intruders or break-ins) involve approx 3 rounds, in 3 seconds at a avg range of 0 to 3 feet.
A 5/6 shot .38spl or .357magnum that you can aim, shoot or use one-handed is far better than a large pistol or M4 rifle that you just purchased.
While I'm still happy to admit that likely-hood of me buying, watching, enjoying an Owens video is about 25:1, I have to say that the, "5/6 shot .38," was a far better argument before the latest, "NYC Biker/Road Rage beating."
Old October 7, 2013, 07:11 PM   #7
ClydeFrog

guns, posts....

Is a roving biker gang going to surround your house?
The video & EJ Owens training doctrine doesn't & won't really affect me.
It's also not about the "guns" you choose. It's how you use them to protect yourself and/or your family members.
Owens doesn't bring up how to use a 12ga pump in a CQB event or how you'd deploy a M4 or 12ga shotgun without any problems.

His training video is not entertainment. I'm making the points about his subject material too. The post isn't about me or what I choose to carry.

There's nothing I could really get from Owens other than some fresh insight in techniques. Not hardware or weapons.
Old November 23, 2014, 01:40 PM   #8
dullom

1) Redundant instruction by those already in the market place.
2) 14 yr military....special ops; trains all of them...gee, why are their army trainers not doing the training?...because they wanted a questionable trainer with little established facts on the person?
3) Just nonsense trying to get into the cash flow with the Obama scare-o-rama.
4) Checked his site, considered is his recent "special" on videos and a knife for 37.00...then saw the word misspelled... "training" before I hit send. Nawww, a real "Trainer" can spell "Training"....

Look elsewhere for those tidbits that help you train and understand tactics.

Me...just a 25yr Police Firearms Trainer and retired Army MP. And, the last thing I think of myself is worthy of videos and training special operations persons or you.

Old post...but the guy is still out there.

Last edited by Frank Ettin; November 23, 2014 at 04:19 PM. Reason: delete profanity
Old November 23, 2014, 04:18 PM   #9
Frank Ettin
Staff

Let's call this one done.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread