The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 10, 2014, 08:57 PM   #1
McClintock

Dominion Primers?

Hi, all.

I was just wondering if anyone has had any previous experience with Dominion primers (in small pistol form), and if so, what were your impressions; Good, Bad, or Ugly?

Found an online deal on them, but I thought I'd check with the forum before spending a bagful of hard-earned loonies on them.

Cheers!
McClintock
Old January 10, 2014, 11:56 PM   #2
BuckRub

Never heard of them myself.
Old January 11, 2014, 10:10 AM   #3
McClintock

Me neither, that's why I thought I'd ask. I'll do some more digging and see what I can find out. If I do find anything, I'll post it.

Cheers!
McClintock
Old January 11, 2014, 11:09 AM   #4
McClintock

Turns out that they are made in Murom, Russia, in the same factory that makes Wolf/Tula primers, and are basically just a different brand name, from what I was able to glean from scouring the interweb.

Sounds like the small pistol primers are a little harder to kick off than a Federal, so I won't be able to use them in my .38 Special PPC revolver, which is disappointing, since Federal small pistol primers are in short supply around here, and my revolver has been customized to the point where it doesn't like primers with a harder cup than the Federals (and I'd rather not mess with it).

Anyhow, that's about all I was able to find out. Hope it helps someone else as well.

Cheers!
McClintock
Old January 11, 2014, 11:14 AM   #5
BuckRub

Thanks for the info.
I also have a Glock that's been modified that doesn't like the harder CCIs. Likes the Federal and Winchester but Federal are also scarce round here. I pick up all the Federal I can get. I like them because they are the softest.