The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 19, 2013, 11:37 AM   #1
Dman23

Waiting for the weather to turn

Here in northern MN it is cold and snow is abundant. Last year at this time it was 70+ and snow was gone.

My 3 babies are waiting for some warm weather so i can go put hundreds of rounds through them. Anyone else in a similar position?

Taurus 94 5inch 22LR on the top, then sp101 357 3 inch followed by a 2 inch 357 sp101.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363711034.401164.jpg
Old March 19, 2013, 11:57 AM   #2
Live Free

I'm the opposite. It's about 70° here, my problem is I don't have nearly enough plinking ammo to shoot hundreds of rounds. I refuse to pay these crazy prices and I haven't yet taken to handloading.

I hope your weather warm soon, but if it doesn't I will PM my home address to you so you can expedite that extra supply down south.
Old March 19, 2013, 12:08 PM   #3
4runnerman

Here to. Waiting. I did get out to Casselton Range last week and did some shooting. Windy and Cold,but well worth it..
Old March 19, 2013, 09:16 PM   #4
craZivn

Hello from Wisconsin! Long live the snow! Cause I have a snowmobile as well as guns.
Old March 20, 2013, 06:45 PM   #5
Ozzieman

I wish someone would shoot that darn ground hog Punxsutawney Phil. Indiana first day of spring and the high is 27 and the 7 day forecast calls for a high of 38. And I have enough ammo that I could stay at the range for a week and never run out.
Out of the rodents own mouth
And so ye faithful,
there is no shadow to see
An early Spring for you and me.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old March 20, 2013, 09:53 PM   #6
Japle

Oh, man! I was stationed in Duluth for a while. 30 below all winter and out-of-control moose sliding down the slick streets.

Much better here in central Florida. The S&W Nationals are this weekend and it's going to be in the 80s. 20-30% chance of rain, but 0% chance of snow!

I'll be shooting all three days and I won't think about cold weather at all!

Old March 22, 2013, 07:42 AM   #7
Bloodraven

Same here. Waiting for the weather to stay nice. It's been switching between freezing and thawing for awhile now, and it's just turned into a sloppy mess.

Looking forward to shooting that ammo I've been buying all winter.
Old March 22, 2013, 07:48 AM   #8
mquail

0F at sunrise here in NE SD. With the crust on the snow at least I can walk on it without falling through
Old March 22, 2013, 11:05 PM   #9
Dman23

Yes i am very close to duluth. It has been a very long winter, but tomorrow is going to be 30 and im going shooting in the afternoon!

Yes 30 is warm. Maybe i will be able to feel my trigger finger this time. Heck maybe after 50 rounds it will still bend to pull the trigger unlike last time. Think after a half hour in the warm car i was still getting feeling back in it.

Hoping to shoot a good 100-200, .22lr out of the 94, good 50, 38 special out of the 2 inch sp101 and 30, 357 out of the 3 inch sp101. That would be a good day of shooting!
Old March 22, 2013, 11:12 PM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm picking up a new baby at the gunstore tomorrow.

Our ranges tend to be indoors around here, so weather is less of a factor. Waiting lists are more of a factor.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 22, 2013, 11:15 PM   #11
Lucas McCain

The snow is getting crusty and the coyotes are still running. They are late with the mating ritual this year.
With all the snow the bombie has really got a work out this year. What a machine. Got a cab and a heater!!
Old March 24, 2013, 06:16 AM   #12
Ozzieman

4th day of spring, 28 and forcast of 4 inches of snow.

Finally the evil rodent will get his just rewards.
A judge has just issued an indictment for Punxsutawny Phill in Ohio.

“COUNT ONE: MISREPRESENTATION OF EARLY SPRING
On or about February 02, 2013, at Gobbler’s Knob, Punxsutawney Phil did purposely and with prior calculation and design, cause the people to believe that Spring would come early. Contrary to the Groundhog Day report, a snowstorm and record low temperatures have been and are predicted to continue in the near future, which constitutes the offense of MISREPRESENTATION OF EARLY SPRING, a Unclassified Felony, and against the peace and dignity of the state of Ohio.
SPECIFICATION: the people further find and specify that due to the aggravating circumstances and misrepresentation to the people that the death penalty be implemented to the defendant Punxsutawney Phil.”

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old March 24, 2013, 10:26 AM   #13
Cesure

Hello from Michigan

Still kinda cold here in the northern lower peninsula. Days in the low 30s nights in the low 20s. Next winter I will have a shooting range buried in my back yard so I can shoot from inside my basement during the winter. That will keep my babies well fed.
Old March 24, 2013, 12:21 PM   #14
Hammerhead

Quote:
It has been a very long winter
Amen!
Although it's slightly warmer here in southern MN, this winter just doesn't want to go away. This week and the Easter weekend should be better. I even saw a few highs predicted in the 40's for the holiday weekend, woo hoo!
Cold weather is good revolver weather though. You don't have to dig your empties out of the snow.
Going to take my GP100 and my FA 97 and some good stiff handloads out today.
Old March 24, 2013, 04:03 PM   #15
Hammerhead

Just got back, thought I would post a pic so you warm weather types would get envious.
Actually pretty nice today, 35º, no wind, a little sun, then a snow shower, very enjoyable range trip.
Old March 25, 2013, 10:10 AM   #16
Japle

The weather was okay (mostly) this weekend in Florida. A few light showers and one major squall after the shooting was over on Sunday.

Low to mid 80s, gusty winds, no snow at all.

Old March 25, 2013, 10:16 AM   #17
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japle
Low to mid 80s, gusty winds, no snow at all.
Meanwhile, just up the road in NC, I shot a match on Sunday in driving rain, with temps in the upper 30s.
Old March 25, 2013, 12:05 PM   #18
Gunbunny1

I am in the same boat...

Just put a new revolver on Lay-a-way. I am jones-ing for summer and my handgun fix. I usually shoot my WWII BHP 9ml. As a lady shooter come lately....I like going out to the wilderness close to my home and plinking some with my 22lr's. Man you can tell the difference between the two just from the sound of the "BANG". My sig/other got me started shooting....I have a WWII FN Browning HP 9m that I learned on. Its been heavily modified and shoots a 4 inch pattern at 25 yards...at least in my hands. I just wanted to say hi and try not to lurk anymore.
WW11 FN Browning Hi-Power 9m, F.E I. 22lr POS revolver, Sig Mosquito 22lr SA, Taurus 94 22lr revolver. My next gun.....357 magnum revolver or 45 ACP SA....so many choices so little time...hey show me that great big shiney one.....hummmm....looks like my wallet just got several bills lighter..
Old March 25, 2013, 12:23 PM   #19
Hammerhead

Welcome.
Old March 25, 2013, 12:27 PM   #20
Webleymkv

Even if the weather was nice (and it's not), I'd be kind of afraid to shoot much because I'd be afraid that I wouldn't be able to replace the ammo and/or components that I shot up (I'm getting dangerously low on large pistol primers).
Old March 25, 2013, 08:15 PM   #21
Gunbunny1

Shoot man...

lets get over this dang ammo/gun shortage....

Shoo-er.

Come on folks...you are intelligent people. Stop hoarding. If you already got it..then you dont need it.

Let us good ole folk whom just want to go out a pop a few rounds off have our crack at the ammo thats available. Like I said...if you got it you dont need it.
WW11 FN Browning Hi-Power 9m, F.E I. 22lr POS revolver, Sig Mosquito 22lr SA, Taurus 94 22lr revolver. My next gun.....357 magnum revolver or 45 ACP SA....so many choices so little time...hey show me that great big shiney one.....hummmm....looks like my wallet just got several bills lighter..
Old March 26, 2013, 09:55 PM   #22
Dman23

Had a blast at the range saturday! It was about 40 with a really warm sun. No gloves had to even take my hat off!

Both the 357s shot great. Did a string with speed loaders and put 12 of 15 on target in probably 10 seconds. For me i felt good about that at 10 yards. Had some good groups. Really like using dixie paper dinner plates as targets. Flip them around and bullets punch nice black holes in them. Cheap and can see shots every bit as good or better than splatter targets at 1/100th the cost.

Taurus 22lr was fun. Sure will cut down on shooting cost and thankfully have about 1500 rounds from a few years ago still left.

What i am most looking forward to is the snow gone so i can go to a gravel pit with no other people and do some different shooting. Like clay targets set up on a berm. Drawing from holster. Maybe for the fun of it some 50 yard or longer shooting. Just fun you cant have at a standard pistol range at a club.