The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 19, 2012, 01:43 PM   #26
Spats McGee
Staff

As much as I like my Theis, I have to admit that I've also read good reviews about the Shielded Holsters linked by Pukindog12.
Old September 20, 2012, 09:02 PM   #27
KyJim

Skadoosh --

You've obviously never run a business. In your analysis, you figured $10 per hour labor (which is not that much above minimum wage) but you forgot the employer's contribution to social security, unemployment, and worker's comp. A good employer also tries to help with health insurance. You've also got to consider utility costs, cost of work space (rent or it's equivalent), and other overhead. All of a sudden, that "huge" profit margin is gone.

Back on topic --

That holster looks nice. I haven't tried one of these kydex/leather combos. I have considered getting one for my SW M&P 9mm compact. Thanks for the review.
Old September 20, 2012, 09:13 PM   #28
qwiksdraw

Next we will hear someone talking redistribution.....

Oh, we have!
Old September 22, 2012, 09:10 AM   #29
charlessummers

I'm very pleased with my Theis Holster for my LC9. It was the first IWB holster that I bought... and did so on a recommendation in another forum. I've had it now for about 8 months, and the "new leather" squeek is no longer there. Once it shaped around my body I no longer felt the need to tug and twist on it. Only bad thing, and it's not the holster, is that the grip on the LC9 is pretty rough and if I'm not wearing a tee-shirt it tends to rub against my skin sometimes. If I were to buy another one, I'd ask that the leather be extended to include protection from the grip. Mr. Theis, I assume, would take the time to do this if asked.

I've asked my wife for one of his Jake Belts for Christmas this year. Hopefully she listened, but if not... I've been known to buy my own gifts.
Old September 22, 2012, 12:11 PM   #30
Skadoosh

Quote:
KyJim wrote: Skadoosh --

You've obviously never run a business. In your analysis, you figured $10 per hour labor (which is not that much above minimum wage) but you forgot the employer's contribution to social security, unemployment, and worker's comp. A good employer also tries to help with health insurance. You've also got to consider utility costs, cost of work space (rent or it's equivalent), and other overhead. All of a sudden, that "huge" profit margin is gone.
...if you had actually looked at the the Theis website, you would realize that it's a one-man operation run out of his garage/shop or home.
Old September 22, 2012, 12:55 PM   #31
Chuckusaret

I don't own a Theis and I am sure that it is a good holster, but there are numerous semilar holsters of this type on the market and I own several. But, what works for me may not work for all. I have several boxes full of highly recommended, costly and well made holster that don't work for me collecting dust in my garage. I hope my wife never sees this posting. LOL. I have found that the Cross Breed Super Tuck and the Galco King Tuk work the best for me. Keep in mind that a holster is only as good as the belt.
Old September 22, 2012, 01:27 PM   #32
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skadoosh
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyJim
Skadoosh --

...if you had actually looked at the the Theis website, you would realize that it's a one-man operation run out of his garage/shop or home.
This is off topic, and there's no need to continue this discussion. But everyone ought to understand that there are a variety of costs associated with running a small business, even a one man shop, including --
  • Capital expenses associated with the purchase, maintenance and replacement of tools and equipment;

• The cost of capital tied up in inventory and one's stock of supplies and materials (including such things as office supplies and packing/shipping material);

• Various taxes, including Social Security tax at the "self-employed" rate, business license expenses, etc.;

• The cost of maintaining a facility at which business is conducted (you might be using your garage, but that means you no longer have a garage for normal, personal use);

• Labor beyond just making the product (including: taking, receiving and keeping track of orders; shipping completed orders; customer service; maintaining a website; receiving, unpacking, and putting away materials to be used for production of the product; paying business bills; accounting, i. e., maintaining the financial books and records associated with running the business; and preparing business tax returns, including paying quarterly estimated tax payments).
The fact is that we have no way, without detailed information, of estimating what someone's true small business profit might be. And in any case, it's irrelevant. If you don't like the price, don't buy it.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old September 27, 2012, 08:40 AM   #33
ShootingNut

skadoosh,
Ever take a look at the Kholster IWB?
I have their Crescent model for my M&P compact, well made and
less money than the CBH.
http://www.kholster.com/products.php...kable+Holsters
Regards,
SN
Old September 27, 2012, 12:59 PM   #34
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Ever take a look at the Kholster IWB?
Just my opinion, but all three models look like way too much leather is used.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 27, 2012, 02:05 PM   #35
Mrgunsngear

I had one and that was my conclusion as well. Took out the box cutter and resolved that issue
Old March 22, 2013, 09:23 AM   #36
Mr_Jumper

Another +1 for Theis holster

Couple of things I've noticed that I like to share:

IWB for PX4 compact

1. Quality and workmanship of holster is EXCELLENT. Reason I ordered from Theis holster was that they could make the molding for PX4 compact (not many companies provide this and it is different from full size because of ambi slide stop on both sides). Fitment, retention, and quality of kydex used is all quality. Highly recommended for those px4 compact owners who can't seem to find good IWB holster.

2. Jake belt - another excellent quality. I've not owned a gun belt before this, so I can't really compare to others, but quality of material and workmanship is super.

3. Communication - Received prompt email for order acknowledgement, predicted 3-4 weeks for delivery (He states that he is a one-man shop, which is understandable) but received the product in 2 weeks.
Old March 22, 2013, 10:01 AM   #37
spdracr39

Nice looking holster but a three hundred percent price increase in a year and a half is a little steep. They are now in the same range as all the other not supertucks.
Old March 22, 2013, 11:47 AM   #38
Cleet

I have a Galco King Tuk for my G27. It's the most comfortable and effective holster for CCW I've used. It's around $60. Needs a brief break in period.
Old March 22, 2013, 11:15 PM   #39
Cheapshooter

I just got my second Theis holster. This time for my Springer XD40 Sub. From online order to my door USPS, two weeks! this time I got the horse hide model. In comparison on price with the top brand the Thies was $65 including shipping. I looked up the same holster from the other company. With options to make it identicle, horse hide, and combat cut, along with additional shipping it would have cost over $100. Also a predicted 6 to 8 week wait.
As far as the holster, I carried my XD in it all day yesterday, and some today. Much more comfortable than the JMG IWB that I have been using. With the larger, and heavier Springer the new Theis holster was hard to distinguish from my other one for the smaller, lighted KAHR CM9.
With this holster I will be carrying my XD40 much more often.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!