The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 21, 2013, 01:35 PM   #1
pippin53

AR in 7.62x39

Anyone have one of these?
How well do they work?
Do they change out easily with a .223 lower?
What is the availability of mags and how much?

Thanks,
Ken
Old February 21, 2013, 01:48 PM   #2
RangerHAAF

I've got one from Rock River on backorder and will post a review when they start shipping again and I go to the range. The one from Rock River has a lower that will only fit AK mags but I think the uppers are interchangeable. I previously had one that used the AR type mags but it was 50/50 on shootability so I traded it.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=558
A Colt Python's trigger pull is as smooth, beautiful and artistic as a Sidewinder sliding on the desert floor. It is concepts like this that the anti-gunners can never comprehend and why we fight so hard to keep them.
NRA Benefactor Life member
Old February 23, 2013, 08:32 AM   #3
dean1818

I would recommend talking to H at AR Performance.

They supposedly have one of the best AR15 in 7.62x39 going..

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old February 23, 2013, 04:02 PM   #4
boostedtt91

I have a Bushmaster 7.62x39 and have had it for about 1 1/2 years now and absolutely love it. It has performed flawlessly since the day i bought it and don't let people scare ya by saying they always jam and don't function. I have about every brand of magazine thats available for them and id say that the ASC is probably the best built and most reliable magazine besides the factory Bushmaster magazine, which is probably the best.
You also have the option of using a standard .223 magazine which will work fine with 7 rounds or less. Also can use the 6.5 Grendal magazine, but im sure how well they work as i haven't used or tried one. The only magazine i have had trouble with once in a great while is the C-Products.

Out of the box, mine wont shoot the cheap steel cased ammo cause the primer is to hard ignite it, but if thats what you want to shoot there are enhanced firing pins you can get to shoot them.

The lower is interchangable with any other ar15 caliber small than a 308. I just bought a .223 upper and just swaped them back and forth for awhile till i got a complete .223 ar.

I have tons of experience with this rifle and reload for it and can answer any questions or concerns you might have regarding this caliber ar15. Hope this helps you out some
Old February 23, 2013, 08:55 PM   #5
oldsoonershooter

Wife has one

I bought my wife a Colt Sporter in 7.62x39 for her birthday in 1993. She loves it. I put a ACOG sight on it in 94 to make it a little easier for her to get on target quicker. Its been a really fine rifle for 20 years. Probably around a thousand rounds through it, so you can see it doesn't get much wear and tear. But its hers and I don't shoot it. Magazines are or have been readily available and obviously ammuniton has been also. Somewhere I have a picture of her in our kitchen holding it.
Old February 25, 2013, 09:53 AM   #6
budd

Ar in 7.62x39 mm

I have an 7.62x39 AR for nearly 12 years and have taken several deer with it. It is great little carbine, accurrate and fun to shoot not nearly as reliable as I would like by way of having feeding problems (iffy Mags). I also have a Rock River AR in 6.8 SPC II and find it much better hunting round and more reliable, no FTF, and much better magazines. It hits the West Virginia Deer hard 5 bucks in 5 years.

V/R

J.Budd
Old February 25, 2013, 10:17 AM   #7
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
not nearly as reliable as I would like by way of having feeding problems (iffy Mags).
Reliability seems to be the biggest issue with them. RRA tried to fix this with making one that use AK mags but even those have apparently had spotty reliabilty.
Old February 25, 2013, 12:01 PM   #8
tahunua001

I'll give pretty much the same answer as I did in the misplaced query.

my older brother has one. his was a build it youself deal so you can take this with a grain of salt but getting it running has been a huge ordeal.

first it wouldn't go off regularly, so he had to upgrade firing pin assembly.

then he snapped an extractor after less than 50 rounds of tula(steel cased) through it. from now on he only feeds brass cased ammo so with the exception of some m67 he's been stockpiling for a couple years, means only high quality expensive ammo.

then he couldn't get it to feed properly, he had to upgrade the follower springs in all of his mags to get it to feed which fixed the problem but still won't feed hollow points(not the little needle points that wolf makes to make their stuff sound better than it is, this is more like super defense, maximum fragmentation type ammo.

final result is a somewhat OK 7.62x39 that can't shoot steel cased ammo and can't feed hollow points...

I personally would never own one myself after all he's had to go through but that's just because I'm lazy. I love the AR platform and much prefer it to the AK platform. most caliber conversions will have issues to work out at first and some will continue to linger. I have an AR15 in 9mm, I had issues with it for years before I finally decided to try expensive magazines and voila, it's just as reliable now as my 5.56.
Old March 1, 2013, 06:05 PM   #9
boostedtt91

I only use brass cased ammo and never had a single issue with mine. If you only wanna shoot cheap steel cased ammo, its gonna take alittle work to get it reliable