The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 10, 2001, 08:48 PM   #1
cbjessee@NH

Speedfeed Stocks

I have a Speedfeed stock on my Rem870 Police, which has AO Express Pro rifle sights. Two questions:

1. It seems when I put my cheek on the stock, that my line of sight is a bit low for the AO rifle sights. I've seen Cheek-Eez comb stick on Sorbothane pads ranging 1/16 - 1/4". Are these good, or are there better options?

2. The Speedfeed recoil isn't too impressive - but I can't figure how to remove it. Do I slice it off and glue on a Pachmayr Decellerator pre-fit size for a Rem870?

BRET
Old December 10, 2001, 09:50 PM   #2
Coronach

Re: removal of the pad.

Mine has a pair of phillips head screws on the actual butt of the stock, you just unscrew 'em.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old December 10, 2001, 11:03 PM   #3
Intel6

The holes for the two screws are coverd by a thin layer of rubber. Take a medium phillips screwdriver, wet the tip, and push it through the small hole in the rubber which may look like a small inperfection to you. When you pull the screwdriver out it the thin rubber closes back on the hole making it look like there is no hole.
Old December 11, 2001, 05:35 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The Cheek Eez pads work. They will move your face out from the stock as much as up unless you cut them in half and use the half to raise your weld by placing it on top.
Old December 12, 2001, 09:37 PM   #5
cbjessee@NH

Got the recoil pad off as indicated, but the butt of the polymer stock measures 4 11/32 (4.348") x 1 17/32 (1.531") at widest points, which doesn't seem to match any Pachmayr pre-fit pads. Maybe Speedfeed stocks won't take softer pads?
BRET
Old December 12, 2001, 10:32 PM   #6
9mmMike

Those pre-fit Pachmayrs are easily shaped. The critical part is the alignment of the screw holes.
I bought a pre-fit for the Wingmaster and one for the Express. The dimensions were similar (actually the Wing was closer) but the Wingmaster holes were off enough that the pad would have been too high and I would have had a step from the stock-to-pad at the bottom.
Anyone know Cabela's return policy? Perhaps you could try a couple that have dimensions that are slightly larger just to see if you get full coverage when the holes are aligned. Then you could massage it to fit.
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!