The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 13, 2012, 09:47 PM   #1
walkamile07

High pressure 45 colt loads ok in a 454 casull?

Some reloading manuals list high pressure 45 colt loads that warn they should only be shot from a Ruger Blackhawk or a Thompson contender.

I understand shooting 28k cup pressure loads in a wheelgun designed for 12-13k loads is a bad idea. I also understand that published load data has to thrown in their legal-eze speak for safety and to cover their behinds from possible lawsuits. Seeing that many of the 454 Casull loads from printed sources go up as high as 52-53k, and a 454 Casull can shoot 45 colt... Is there any logical reason why it is a bad idea to shoot blackhawk/contender 45 colt loads in a 454 Casull? Were the loading book warnings just written before the 454 became more popular?

My question is more for theoretical purposes than for practical use.

thanks
Old September 13, 2012, 09:58 PM   #2
Edward429451

Yes you can and 45 Colt loads shoot great out of my 454. I can think of no reason not to do it.
Old September 13, 2012, 09:58 PM   #3
Gdawgs

Nope, there is no problem doing that. I do it all the time.
Old September 13, 2012, 10:09 PM   #4
Lost Sheep

Thanks for asking our advice

Dick Casull, when working up loads and producing his first guns was using 45 Colt brass (modern stuff, not the antique "balloon head" cases used for Black Powder, and which have not been manufactured for over a half-century anyway).

So, yes the brass will stand up to the "Ruger Only" loads and the gun (chambered as it is for 454 Casull) will stand even higher pressure.

However, if you choose to go past the "Ruger Only" loads, your gun will hold up. The brass almost certainly will hold up. The primers, however, may not. That's why Casull brass uses rifle primers.

Go forth and be happy.

Lost Sheep
Old September 13, 2012, 11:08 PM   #5
walkamile07

Good point on the primers, I didn't consider that. My line of thought was building up some warmer 45 colt loads vs some low to mid range 454 loads for range use. It seems that one can get similar results from either cartridge from the same gun. Until one wants to exceed what the 45 colt can safely do, then it's time to use 454 cases and load data.

Excellent advice from this forum as usual. Thanks