The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 15, 2012, 09:39 PM   #1
WWWJD

Seating Depth Question (ogive to lands)

I had great luck finding an accurate load in my .308 with the 168gr SMK. This load was 2.825" COAL (base to tip); shot .292moa @ 200 yards a few weeks ago.

I recently started playing with the 175gr SMK, and have also been playing with the 165gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. I've been semi-concerned with keeping my cartridges at the 2.825" max because that's just shy of magazine length. My NBT hunting load is solid; 1.5" or better groups at 200 yards. The 175 SMK? Well, let's just say it's not shooting as good as the 168 yet and it's got me a bit bewildered (it's a 1:12" barrel... by all accounts it should be right there in the sweet spot).

I'm not overly worried about mag length, but before it's even suggested... know that the throat on my rifle is too deep to seat to the lands, or even .03 off.. just ain't gonna happen. The NBTs the longest of the three bullets, and when touching the lands, I only seat at about 1/3 neck depth. The other two's base to ogive measurements are similar / shorter. I'm not too hip on the brass just barely hanging on to the bullets, and based on the 168gr SMK performance... not necessary.

I was thinking about it this morning, so at lunch I went to the local store and bought a bullet comparator. Does it seem logical to assume that seating these 175SMK and 165NBT the same distance off the lands as the 168SMK (ogive) will yield the best results? Or is this just going to be another variable to play with?

If this logic is sound, the the NBT would be 2.9" COAL, and the 175SMK would be 2.848" COAL, keeping the jump to the lands the same.

Opinions? Go.

NRA Endowment FTW