The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 21, 2010, 09:07 PM   #1
Joe Boogie

Everyone has an opinion...

I'm a relatively new gun enthusiast and am about to embark on my first handgun purchase. I have fired the S&W M/P 9mm and felt very comfortable with it, but I recently held a HK P30 at a gun show and am getting second thoughts on the S&W. While I intend to rent and fire a HK prior to my final decision, I was looking for some opinions on which of the two might be a better purchase. I liked the feel of the HK's grip and found the mag release, slide lock and the decocker were easy to operate (although I'll carry cocked and locked).

I intend on IWB carry and fun at the range. While this is my first gun purchase, it will also be my home defense weapon until my collection grows.

Opinions? Pros/cons?

Last edited by JohnKSa; November 21, 2010 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Title edit.
Old November 21, 2010, 09:09 PM   #2
jimbob86

I wouldn't buy a product from a company that hates me, and thinks I suck......
Old November 21, 2010, 09:10 PM   #3
Sefner

The best response is to handle as many firearms as you can, see what you like, what fits you best... and on that note, it sounds like you already know what you want
Old November 21, 2010, 09:10 PM   #4
Joe Boogie

What?
Old November 21, 2010, 09:12 PM   #5
jhenry

They are both good pistols, just go home with the one that you like best.
Old November 21, 2010, 09:21 PM   #6
Shadi Khalil

I think after you've shot the P30 you'll be buying one. Excellent all around in any caliber. My be a bit large for CCW but its a joy at the range and a dandy for around the house.

Last edited by JohnKSa; November 21, 2010 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Deleted comment made superfluous by title edit.
Old November 21, 2010, 09:31 PM   #7
zombieslayer

Of the two I greatly prefer the Hk. But then, S&W is the one that hates me, and thinks I suck.
Old November 21, 2010, 09:44 PM   #8
RT

"91,322 rounds 13 stoppages, 0 malfunctions, 5 parts breakages At 91,300 rounds, the P30 was running strong. Even after a chunk went missing from the frame, the gun had turned in well over five thousand rounds of accurate and reliable service. I carried it every day. By 91,322 however, the pistol had suffered ..."
http://pistol-training.com/archives/...s/p30-thursday
Old November 21, 2010, 09:45 PM   #9
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob86
....I wouldn't buy a product from a company that hates me, and thinks I suck....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Boogie
What?
It's an inside joke. Heckler & Koch has a reputation for being arrogant and not very customer service oriented.
Old November 21, 2010, 09:55 PM   #10
jimbob86

Linky for Joe

http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/20...d-we-hate-you/
Old November 21, 2010, 09:57 PM   #11
TXAZ

Excellent shortlist

+1 for jhenry's comment.

My wife purchased the M&P 9mm Pro, and excellent weapon. She picked it because she liked the feel better. The P30 was also on the short list, but the bottom line for her was how the grip felt in her hand.

Both are very good.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 21, 2010, 10:01 PM   #12
chris in va

Three words...Rent, rent, rent.

Go to a large gun store/range where you can fire at least 5 different guns, I bet you'll be very surprised what floats your boat.
Old November 21, 2010, 10:07 PM   #13
WVsig

Quote:
Three words...Rent, rent, rent.

Go to a large gun store/range where you can fire at least 5 different guns, I bet you'll be very surprised what floats your boat.
I agree with this 100% or if you have a friend who has both ask them to take you to the range and you pay for the ammo. Until you send some lead down range from a particular pistol it is impossible to know that you will like one over another.

I have held tons of guns in a shop a thought they would "fit" me but then after a short range session found it was not for me. The more you shoot the better you get at judging what works for you but even long time shooters miss the mark sometimes.

I loved the HK45. It felt great in the hand but the more I shot it the less it fit me. It simply did not fit me well enough to justify the price. HKs are great guns but they are not for everyone. I find their DA triggers to be a bit stiff.
Old November 21, 2010, 10:12 PM   #14
jimbob86

True Dat!

Quote:
I have held tons of guns in a shop a thought they would "fit" me but then after a short range session found it not to be true.
My brother thought my sp101 in .357 was the greatest thing ever ..... until he shot a cylinder of full house loads through it ....... promptly dubbed the gun, "L'il Nasty", and avoided it the rest of the range sesssion.
Old November 21, 2010, 11:35 PM   #15
NWCP

The HK P30 is an excellent weapon. If it fits your and well and you like the way it shoots go for it. I own quite a few HKs and have never had an issue with the guns, or customer service. If the M&P works better for you go with it. It all depends on works best for you and your shooting needs. The P30 can be carried concealed quite easily with a proper IWB holster. Good luck on your choice and enjoy whatever you get.
Old November 21, 2010, 11:42 PM   #16
twhidd

If you're like many of us hear, whichever one you buy it will not be your last. You may end up with both of them before it's over and several more. They can become an addiction.

Happy shooting
Old November 22, 2010, 07:06 AM   #17
sonnycrockett

M&P feel great in the hand ,ergonomics are slick but I bought one and hated it.......It has IMO lots of room for improvement ,it needs a trigger that is smooth
for one thing........Thats why every M&P owner runs out to APEX for a trigger kit
but if I am going to spend 550 bucks for a M&P and then plunk down another 100 or so for a trigger kit and get in the 650 range Id rather just buy a SIG
It has all that and more plus a high resale value,you cant give away a used M&P...
HK is a nice gun,but I have others Id rather try ,FNs look really nice,and I really like Rugers SR9s and 40s....and Glock is as always a no brainer A+

Old November 22, 2010, 08:13 AM   #18
limitdown

H&K and/or SIG all the way!
Old November 22, 2010, 09:28 AM   #19
spodwo

I have the M&P - great pistol. I also agree on the trigger - it can be better. Frankly, I like the trigger on the Glock - it breaks a lot cleaner, less mush compared to the Smith. But I prefer the Smith over the Glocks overall due to it's ergonomics. I like the manual safety on my S&W also - I just prefer a pistol that has one versus the Glock system.

As far as the H&K P30 - there are a lot of great reviews on them. Never shot or held one though.

I think the FN9 deserves a look too....I really like the look of that and it is also getting great reviews.
Old November 22, 2010, 09:53 AM   #20
Dc9Loser

Quote:
"91,322 rounds 13 stoppages, 0 malfunctions, 5 parts breakages At 91,300 rounds, the P30 was running strong. Even after a chunk went missing from the frame, the gun had turned in well over five thousand rounds of accurate and reliable service. I carried it every day. By 91,322 however, the pistol had suffered ..."
http://pistol-training.com/archives/...s/p30-thursday
Yesterday 09:31 PM
HK's sound like junk, LOL

This glock:

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/...-torture-test/

went 277,000 rounds before its first failure, after being left at the bottom of the ocean for six months at one point in its life.

I think the best first gun is a Glock. That is because they pretty much never fail, they are light and small for CCW, and at 500 bucks give or take are a good deal.

After ya shoot awhile you can get something more exciting, prettier, flashy, or cool.

Of course after shooting Glocks you will have little tolerance for finicky guns.
Old November 22, 2010, 10:03 AM   #21
EdInk

They are different types of pistols. Figure out what platform you prefer the most. I prefer striker fired polymer guns for full size pistols. My preference is for the XD. The Glock would be second followed my the M&P. My gripe
about the M&P is the trigger feels chintzy. I know it's not BUT it feels it.
Old November 22, 2010, 02:43 PM   #22
Flyfisher

I have the P30...

...but it probably would not have been my first choice when I was starting out.
I think the better approach is to shoot as many as you can before you purchase. As another poster said: rent, rent, rent. Don't know how old you are, but you have the rest of your life to find your all time favorites...and those seemingly "final" choices will change over time.
I am, admittedly, partial to HK and Sig, but it took me a while to get there.

Tags
9mm , h&k , p30 , s&w