The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 26, 2012, 04:23 PM   #1
cannonfire

HK P30 for carry?

I'm curious if anybody carries a P30 as their daily CCW.

I think the gun shoots like a dream but I find it may be a little big to be certain that I could use it for an everyday carry weapon, but people do carry full size 1911s. I don't know because I haven't had the opportunity to try to carry one.

I have been looking at a P30 for carry but do not know how well I would be able to comfortably conceal it. I'm 5'8 215 (stocky) and have comfortably concealed a FNX-9 in a OWB holster before (to use as a reference). Just wondering if you guys think it would be unwise to pick one up for a daily carry.

So anybody carry one daily? or semi-daily?
Old June 26, 2012, 04:41 PM   #2
TunnelRat

Anything can be carried, with the right motivation .

That said I chose the P2000 over the P30 because I thought the P2000 would be easier to carry as it has smaller dimensions. Not only that, but it is important to note the grip texture on a P30. While it feels great at the range, wear it against your skin for a day and then talk to me . Many people find they need to wear a light shirt underneath their main shirt. Whether or not that is practical for you, assuming you're still in Georgia, can only be decided by you. A holster that holds it somewhat away from the body would also work.

I think the P30 is a great gun. But I'm a heretic because I don't think it's great at everything .
Maintain situational awareness

Last edited by TunnelRat; June 26, 2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old June 26, 2012, 04:43 PM   #3
HKGuns

Yep. It is my primary carry right now. I rotate my pistols around a bit.
Old June 26, 2012, 05:48 PM   #4
Coltman 77

My daily carry is an HK 45C in an IWB Stronghold Phoenix holster and it carries very nicely.

I love my P30L but it's rather long and is definitely a HD/range pistol, IMO.

I'd think a P30 would carry like a Glock 17 or Colt Commander sized sidearm.

I'm sure more folks will be along shortly to enlighten us.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old June 27, 2012, 06:41 AM   #5
cannonfire

Tunnelrat- that's a great point about the grip texture, I've only been looking at the dimension as a factor for carrying.

Thanks for the responses guys

Anybody else have experience carrying a P30?
Old June 27, 2012, 07:07 AM   #6
island18

Skin is a very big factor, I have a EMP 9mm that I'm ready to sell because the sharp edges.
Small gun, right size and a great shooter, but is not for me.
Old June 27, 2012, 07:10 AM   #7
ScotchMan

I've carried my HK45 with the same texture, I'll second TR's comments. It gets irritating fast.

Likewise I currently carry a P2000sk and THAT grip texture feels great.

Sounds like you need a P2000 for carry.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old June 27, 2012, 07:19 AM   #8
Crow Hunter

Here is something that I made for my own research. It has the P30 compared to some other guns you may be familiar with. All info is taken from manufacturer's published data.

SR is sight radius.

All Dims are in Inches except for weight, which is in pounds.

Hope this helps.

Carry Comparison.PNG

Good luck.
Old June 27, 2012, 07:26 AM   #9
ScotchMan

The published info can be a little misleading. For example, my P2000sk is thinner than my Glock 26 in any realistic evaluation.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old June 27, 2012, 07:44 AM   #10
Crow Hunter

Quote:
The published info can be a little misleading. For example, my P2000sk is thinner than my Glock 26 in any realistic evaluation.
I agree. Nothing beats an actual hands on comparison, especially with the HK's because they measure at the widest point (the slide lock/release). But it can give a person a good idea if the overall dims are outside of their CCW envelope.

For instance, using this chart, I knew that the M&P Full Size, P2000 and P30 were outside of my envelope for improving my current setup. (All taller than my G19, I want something shorter) So that lets me compare just the P2000sk, P239 and the 642 and lets me compare that to the G26 that I already own/carry which I think is a tad too small except with the extended magazine.

It also lets me rule out the P239 because it is too heavy for it's size/capacity for me.

So now I am down to just the P2000sk and the S&W 642. Now if I can just find a store where I can compare them.

Good reivews like yours on the P2000sk help though.

Good luck.
Old June 27, 2012, 08:08 AM   #11
TunnelRat

Quote:
For instance, using this chart, I knew that the M&P Full Size, P2000 and P30 were outside of my envelope for improving my current setup. (All taller than my G19, I want something shorter) So that lets me compare just the P2000sk, P239 and the 642 and lets me compare that to the G26 that I already own/carry which I think is a tad too small except with the extended magazine.
With flat baseplates as opposed to the ones with the finger extension, which I personally don't need as my whole hands fits without them, the HK P2000 is basically the same size as a Glock 19.

A regular P30 has a grip about as long as a Glock 17, but a slide as long as a Glock 19. A P30L is very similar all around to a Glock 17. It's a little confusing because a Glock 17L is even longer still, but the slides lengths between the P30 and Glock models don't match like that.

Last edited by TunnelRat; June 27, 2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old June 27, 2012, 09:36 AM   #12
cannonfire

Thanks Crow Hunter, that's a nice little chart that you compiled there.

Taking the rubber grip of the P30 into account, I'm going to have to look into the P2000.

How does the P2000 shoot and feel compared to the P30?
Old June 27, 2012, 11:02 AM   #13
TunnelRat

Quote:
How does the P2000 shoot and feel compared to the P30?
I've only shot a P30 a few times. Not enough to make a fair comparison.

I will say the trigger between the P30 and P2000, as I have dry fired the heck out of them in stores, feel pretty much the same to me. P30 might be a tad smoother, but very little difference. Besides the slide styling and the grip design the P2000 and P30 are functionally the same. The P2000 does have a shorter barrel than the P30. I haven't noticed any lack of accuracy in my P2000, however. It's pretty much the same barrel length as a P229 and that's worked for many years.

In 9mm the recoil is barely noticeable in my P2000. It can be a problem because I have a lot of confidence shooting it fast and I can't load full magazines at the range or I burn ammo like nuts . Really it is very easy to manage. I recently helped my buddy pick one out in LEM for his gf. She has small hands and can handle the recoil easy.

In 40SW I still find it very controllable. In shooting the two side by side the 40SW P2000 feels to me like a stout 9mm NATO loading. The P2000 40SW slide is beefier, but not on the outside instead actually on the inside (there is more metal where to the side of where the firing pin channel is). It's a tad heavier but outside dimensions are pretty much the same. I actually have gone to carrying this as I spend most of my day in and around cars and I like the slightly better glass penetration.

Last piece of advice? HK is very proud of their guns (a nice way of saying that they're awfully expensive). If you can find a nice one used you'll save $200 or more and from my experience it will run just as well as a new one (in fact the trigger will probably be a bit nicer). Finding a good one can be tricky, but they're so reliable I have no issue buying HKs used.

Last edited by TunnelRat; June 27, 2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old June 27, 2012, 04:58 PM   #14
ScotchMan

Quote:
So now I am down to just the P2000sk and the S&W 642. Now if I can just find a store where I can compare them.
Size-wise they aren't that different. To me that comes down to revolver or semi-automatic. If you're ok with 5 rounds, can conceal it well and comfortably, and shoot a revolver, double action, as well as a semi-automatic, I would go with the 642.

I on the other hand can't conceal them as well, am not ok with just 5 rounds (and bulky, difficult reloads), and can't shoot it as fast or as accurately, so I carry semi-automatics

Both guns are great and will serve you well.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member