The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 17, 2007, 11:18 AM   #1
Stargazer

Pact IR detection system...?

Have any of you guys tried the Pact IR system? I got one a coming this way, got tired of the Chrony F1 and all it's errors. Last suggestion by Chrony Tech support was to move it 20 feet away from the muzzle. I would like to know muzzle velocity, not down range velocity. I am hoping the IR system allows me to shoot when I want, not when the sun is at the right angle.

Anyone tried these IR systems out yet or am I the test?

M70 Web Page
Old June 18, 2007, 12:16 PM   #2
brickeyee

"...move it 20 feet away from the muzzle. I would like to know muzzle velocity, not down range velocity."

Any optical system needs to be far enough from the muzzle to not pick up the shock waves generated by the powder gases.
15 feet for rifles was common for many years.
You correct for the velocity lost between the chrono and the muzzle.
Old June 20, 2007, 09:37 PM   #3
Stargazer

Well, it works even in the dark! I took it out tonight at 9 PM with my CO2 pistol and first time out I got a good 5 shot string. Now PACT fails to mention in their IR screen advertising that the IR screens are powered by a small plug in xfrm. Yup, where ya gonna get A/C out on the range. Well, a few AA's later in a battery holder provided some portable power so the IR's would work. And work they did indeed!

I finally found a chronograph that allows me to shoot when "I" want to, not when the sun is just right.

M70 Web Page

Last edited by Stargazer; June 20, 2007 at 11:00 PM.
Old June 24, 2007, 05:45 AM   #4
Stargazer

More Info on PACT IR system

After the initial battery holder with AA's in it worked but ran down quickly I knew a DC regulator circuit and a larger battery was going to be needed. At a local surplus electronics parts store I picked up a regulator PCB/kit and a small 1.3 AH 12 volt gel cell. I had a small NEMA type case so yesterday I went to town. Built the regulator cicuit and got it into the NEMA box and tested it yesterday via CO2 pistol in the backyard. The IR works and can be used during the day as well as at night or inside or bad lighting conditions.

As can be seen from the pixs the regulator circuit will stay attached to the bar and the bar can stay attached to the tripod while all others pieces unhook from the bar or sensors. The battery is light enough that industrial velcro will hold it on the tripod leg. I ran it for 30 minutes and then measured the 12 volt gel cell. it started at 13.15 volts and after 30 minutes was only down to 12.82 volts so it can run down to like 9-10 volts before the regulator kicks out. So the battery will last a few hours at a time and I can't see it left on for longer than one hour at a time anyway.

Did I get any errors or non-read shots? Yes I did, I will not lie, I did have few that did not read. I guess ALL of these optical sensor devices like this can have false readings when things don't go just perfect. But the IR system seems to help keep me getting readings even when the regular screens have given up due to lighting conditions. Range testing happens in a few hours from now.

This next pix is taken inside with a B&W security camera that picks up IR light well. As you can see the cone of IR light is narrow and each sensor has two IR LED's that you can see glow reddish inside with dim lighting.

EDIT...Range Report; I started with the regular screens since it was daylight but the sun was off way to the east just coming up. Sky was cloudy and I was in the shade of a tree. First few rounds read OK and then the sun started twinkling more through the leaves. I had a few non reads so I switched over to the IR screens and plugged the sensors in and the battery to the regulator. The readings came back and were good the rest of the shoot. I was finally able to get a good 5 shot string so I could average out my reloads. And all of this was at a 10 foot distance firing a S&W 686 and a Marlin 1894C in .357.

M70 Web Page

Last edited by Stargazer; June 24, 2007 at 12:58 PM.