The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 1, 2000, 12:24 PM   #1
BB

What would be the most effective, most "general use" bullet in .308 for long range target shooting, hunting, etc..? Soft-point boat tail?
Old October 1, 2000, 12:32 PM   #2
Paul B.

BB. I have settled on the 165 gr. Speer spitzer flat base bullet as my general .308 bullet for "all round use". It works well for deer and elk for me out of an 18 inch barrel Ruger International. I have sevral .308 sporting rifles, and this bullet has provenmore tha sufficient accuracy-wise for hunting and tatrgets.
paul B.
Old October 1, 2000, 12:35 PM   #3
NJW

I would probably say the 165 Nosler ballistic tip. Very accurate and also performs well on game

NJW in AZ
Old October 1, 2000, 12:47 PM   #4
BB

I'm just about to get into reloading, I bought a case of Hirtenburger 7.62 that I plan on plinking with, and when I reload it I want to load it to match specs with a very accurate, yet effective bullet, so I can shoot it in my Savage 10FP, FAL and my Model 7. Just thought a little clarification was in order
Old October 1, 2000, 09:29 PM   #5
dongun

I have to agree with NJW - the 165gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip. This bullet is designed for long range hunting.
Old October 1, 2000, 10:10 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'm not about to argue with anybody's notions, when it works for them. But, to muddy the water a bit, I've shot a lot more 150-grain than the heavier bullets.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've had equal results for tight groups with Rem. Bronze Points, Hornady Spire Points, Sierra SPs and Sierra SPBTs. I learned from my father and uncle, who started reloading in the 1930s. I started in 1950...

On whitetail deer, all the bullets worked just fine. I've only used the Sierra SPBT on mule deer, with mixed results. No problems with the kills, but I was surprised by a neck shot at 30 yards and no exit wound. I've since read that the jackets on the BTs are a bit thinner. I guess that at close range, it would blow up; at longer ranges it would expand just fine...

The new Speer book favors the 165-grain bullet for the .308 as an all-around bullet.

FWIW, Art
Old October 2, 2000, 10:17 AM   #7
beemerb

I like the 150 gr hornady.very consistant weight.Shot 1 inch and under out of my savage.

------------------
Bob--- Age and deceit will overcome youth and speed.
I'm old and deceitful.
Old October 2, 2000, 11:15 AM   #8
BB

In the hunting role, I'll be using the Model 7 on hogs, white tail, and mule deer. The M10FP will be for coyote and groundhogs, as well as long-range (600yard+) target shooting. I no there are better bullets to suit different situations, but I was looking for a general round to fit all applications well.