The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 21, 2007, 04:16 PM   #26
Dogjaw

This thead is old, but subject came up on several boards. This is Speer's response to the Lee comment on their die on Speer's website.
Quote:
Q.

I bought a reloading die set and there’s a note with the dies that says something like, “Speer does not recommend using their bullets with these dies.” What’s the deal?

A.

Speer never made such a broad recommendation. Speer’s recommendation is: Do not apply a crimp to any bullet that does not have a crimp groove. The die company in question markets a die to produce a “factory crimp” and recommends it be used on any bullet. Speer’s tests, and those by another bullet maker and an independent gun writer, show that crimping a bullet that doesn’t have a crimp groove degrades group size by an average of 40 percent. Other than the crimp die, we have no problem with our bullets in that firm’s dies, although our preference is for RCBS® products.
We express ours thanks to the die maker for allowing us to make contact with so many new SPEER customers.
3) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves..........
Old March 21, 2007, 09:42 PM   #27
cracked butt

Quote:
Speer’s tests, and those by another bullet maker and an independent gun writer, show that crimping a bullet that doesn’t have a crimp groove degrades group size by an average of 40 percent. Other than the crimp die, we have no problem with our bullets in that firm’s dies, although our preference is for RCBS® products.
We express ours thanks to the die maker for allowing us to make contact with so many new SPEER customers.
Kind of a he-said she-said. Lee makes pretty tall claims about its dies and especially the factory crimp die yet I don't know of too many serious reloader who would crimp a rifle bullet for better accuracy, on the other hand Speer has a lot of interest with RCBS- their reloading manual is included in RCBS reloading kits. If it weren't for Lee, RCBS would probably be able to sell their dies for twice the price.
Old March 22, 2007, 05:56 AM   #28
Dogjaw

I have a Lee factory crimp die for 45/70 to allow me to crimp that big bullet separately. The instructions say to crimp any bullet, and it will make it's own cannelure. They probably singled out Speer, because Speer has held for 20 years that I know of not to crimp any of their bullets that do not have a cannelure for that purpose.
3) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves..........