The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old April 18, 2015, 01:47 PM   #1
straight-shooter

NOE 9mm group buy

I found a great group buy on the NOE forum if anyone is interested. Looks to be a very interesting design for 9mm emulating the Hornady XTP bullet. It's supposed to cast at 147gr HP or 155gr solid. Post a "I want" in the thread and receive 15% off. I'm in no way affiliated with this but just wanted to pass it along.

http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index....pic,644.0.html
Old May 1, 2015, 10:45 AM   #2
DR Owl Creek

I think that's going to be a great heavy weight cast bullet for the 9mm. The estimated production date for that group buy is 5/5/15. It will close in just a few days, so this is your last chance to buy one at the 15% group buy discount.

Dave
Old May 1, 2015, 11:34 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

What is that thing!

I'm sure plenty of people will like it, but those dimensions won't work for me.
Old May 4, 2015, 12:06 PM   #4
DR Owl Creek

Some people have had a hard time understanding the dimensions on the drawing for the NOE 358 155/147 (ELCO) bullet design. The problem is because of the way the design software shows the dimensions of the 2 degree taper on the nose section of the bullet. The design software can't show the 2 degree angle, so instead it simply lists the dimensions where the tapered section starts, it's mid-point, and then where the conical tip portion starts.

A SAAMI spec 9mm throat has a 2 degree taper. The nose portion of this bullet has a matching 2 degree taper to match this SAAMI spec 9mm throat. The tapered section of the nose starts at the .358" dimension shown for the leading edge of the front driving band, and then is a straight taper to the point where the drawing shows .346", where the conical tip of the bullet starts. The point marked as .352" is the mid-point (datum point) for the tapered section of the nose, and is NOT a step in the nose itself, but rather just the way the software shows these dimensions.

If you have a SAAMI spec 9mm chamber/throat in your gun, this bullet should fit fine. The way to set up the proper OAL for the 9mm cartridge when loading with this bullet would be by starting with the "plunk test" in your barrel. Determine this OAL by putting the bullet in a 9mm case and setting it out long, then drop this dummy round into your chamber, so that the 2 degree taper of the nose of the bullet touches the 2 degree portion of the 9mm chamber. Adjust the length of the cartridge until the case head is flush with the barrel hood. This OAL should be about 1.140" with a SAAMI spec 9mm chamber, and this should result in about .260" of the base of the bullet inside the 9mm case, WITHOUT bulging the brass case. This length should also work in any SAAMI spec 9mm magazine as well.

The intent with this bullet was to design the best heavy weight bullet possible for the 9mm, and something that would be ideal for IDPA, USPSA, IDPA, etc., as well as for personal defense use. For a good discussion about how and why the bullet is designed the way it is, take a look at the original discussion thread at: http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index....pic,597.0.html

This bullet should also work well in the 38 Super.

This bullet will, however, have a nose that is too long to work in the 357 SIG without seating the bullet so deep in the case that the base of the bullet will be below the neck/shoulder junction.

I hope this helps.

Dave
Old May 4, 2015, 12:51 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

I appreciate the explanation, but I fully understood the dimensions.

I am well versed in cast bullet design, and the TMT cast bullet software, in particular.

The problem is that I know that my chamber is not SAAMI spec.
...And that about 80% of the 9mms out there are not to SAAMI spec. Tolerances vary. Dimensions wander. Tools get dull ...and then sharpened. Manufacturers cut beyond tolerance (above and below) all the time.

And, some companies [**cough** Taurus **cough**] just don't give a rat's behind about SAAMI specifications. They just make stuff up as the go along. If it works about half the time... well, that ain't half bad.
Old May 14, 2015, 01:21 PM   #6
straight-shooter

Well, this one's on it's way here. I should be getting it by the beginning of next week and when my work schedule allows I'll pour some up and post some pics.

Following hopefully soon after I'll post up honest results of both the solid and hp versions from the range.

Dr. Owl, you getting yours on the way ?
Old May 15, 2015, 12:20 AM   #7
FrankenMauser

I hope it's a winner.

Odd bullets are usually more fun to shoot.
Old May 15, 2015, 11:01 AM   #8
DR Owl Creek

Kup. Mine's on the way. I'm really looking forward to it. I think it's going to be a winner!

Odd ball guns can be even more of a hoot to shoot, if you ever get 'em figured out!

Dave
Old May 18, 2015, 10:45 AM   #9
DR Owl Creek

FWIW. I forgot to mention NOE's fast turn-around time, and great customer service before. I ordered my NOE 358 155gr TC mould on Thursday, May 14th. It showed up this morning, Monday, May 18th. It looks great too!

Dave
Old May 18, 2015, 03:36 PM   #10
straight-shooter

Dr. Owl, I ordered the same day and also just received mine in the mail. Once the humidity cools a bit around here I'll be outside pouring some up. Great customer service for sure!

Old May 21, 2015, 11:36 AM   #11
DR Owl Creek

Here's a link to a new thread on the CastBoolits Forum discussing casting and loading for the new NOE 358 155gr TC (ELCO) bullet: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...539-Elco-tc-hp

Check it out. Please add any data you have that helps out.

Thanks,

Dave
Old May 21, 2015, 05:48 PM   #12
straight-shooter

Thank You for the discussion link as it should prove to be a valuable tool aiding in working up a good load.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:10 AM   #13
DR Owl Creek

Straight-Shooter,

Thank you for being a part of this one too. Please post your results on the loading discussion thread when you get the chance.

Dave
Old May 25, 2015, 01:14 PM   #14
straight-shooter

Casted and waiting for Powder Coat. This HP version is 150gr using a 2% tin 80/20 ww/soft combo. They mic at .359 and will be sized to .357 after PC.

Old May 25, 2015, 05:21 PM   #15
straight-shooter

Powder coated!

Old May 26, 2015, 12:09 PM   #16
DR Owl Creek

Those look great! Thanks for posting.

Dave
Old May 26, 2015, 10:05 PM   #17
skizzums

those are some sick bullets, love the nose profile, wish I had got in on this.
Old May 27, 2015, 04:26 AM   #18
straight-shooter

I looked on the NOE site yesterday and there are plenty left in the online store for sale if your interested in one skizzums.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...oducts_id=1911
Old May 29, 2015, 11:16 AM   #19
straight-shooter

Well Frankenmauser, this bullet is a sweet piece!

I nailed down a nice load first trip out to the range today. I could try and list all the chrony results but I feel like the results I found in this one particular load are worthy of posting alone. If you try it I think you'll like it. I shot strings of 10 each from 3.8 to 4.2 grains of CFE Pistol and the 4.1 load won out.

Here are the specs

Glock 19 Gen 4

NOE 358 155 TC HP - powder coated & sized to .357 - Final bullet weight 151 grain
4.1gr CFE Pistol Powder
1.125 OAL
.375 Crimp
Wolf Primer

Chrony result

Weather 74 sunny
High Vel - 926
Low Vel - 905
ES - 21
SD - 6
PF - 138

I knew this was the chosen load before I even checked the chrono data. The recoil felt right and the brass was ejecting 3 feet at 4 o'clock. The rounds settled exactly where I was aiming as long as I did my part.

Target is of 10 rounds fired