The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 17, 2011, 11:09 AM   #1
robctwo

Walnut media

My local store went out of business. I found this available http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/235216/product.web

When it got here I was disappointed, it is much finer than I had been using. After a few hundred very dirty .45 colt cases I have changed my mind. Very nice. I do put a bit of brass polish and some Nu Finish car polish in it.
Old January 17, 2011, 01:23 PM   #2
George H

I purchased a bag of the brand Kaytee at Petsmart. It was about the consistancy of sand. I had my doubts about it but used it with some Flitz and it done great. It also does not get stuck in the primer pockets as bad as corncob.

Last edited by George H; January 17, 2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old January 17, 2011, 01:43 PM   #3
pgdion

Nice link, thanks. I've just started reloading. I've been using ground walnut shells from Harbor Freight. $25 for 25lb and there is a HF near me so no shipping. I've been putting in a squirt of Turtle Wax polish and it's been doing a good job. Even with the shipping charges though, this is a better price.
Old January 17, 2011, 03:09 PM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

I still have most of a 25 pound bag I bought at Harbor Freight over a year ago. I use the crap out of my tumbler. I typicly clean between 2 and 5 thousand cases a week. (I trade brass for supplies, and equipment.) I have never had a problem of it getting stuck in flash holes of deprimed cases. It is 24 grit fine, and soft. I paid less than $30 for the bag. I use the dryer sheets, and dab a few cleaning patches with NuFinnish. It last a long time. I do not super polish the brass. I clean it which is fine by me. I have never used anything else due to the fact that what I have works just fine.