The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 26, 2012, 06:12 PM   #1
WheelGunRealGun

Mossberg 500 Longevity

How many shots can a Mossberg 500's receiver take before it bites the dust? What's it's estimated life span as far as rounds?

Is it less than the 870 cause it has an aluminum receiver? Would the 500 be a gun that my grandkids could still use in 60 years?
Old June 26, 2012, 06:45 PM   #2
Big_Bullet

I found an answer here on TFL for you...

I copied this from another user, which I'm glad I read since I recently purchased a Mossy Maverick (has the safety in a better place than the 500 IMO).

First Mossy is over 22 YO and has well over 15k rounds through it. Still running strong. It's part of my home defense battery.

Second Mossy (835) is 18 YO and has over 10K rounds...still running strong. This is my waterfowler.

Third Mossy (20 Gauge) is only 7 YO and has around 2K rounds through it. It's just broken in. This one is my beater upland game gun.

Although they can be broken, one usually has to go to some extreme to do it. Just my experience.

BB
Old June 26, 2012, 07:28 PM   #3
Al Den

I never counted, but I do recall when a 500 was my only 12 ga. Used it for everything and eventually Trap. It graduated to sporting a screw-in Imp-Mod choke ribbed barrel with a custom-installed mid-bead (this was novel at the time). I recall just thinking "there is no way a gun can last this long with all the thousands upon thousands and thousands of rounds I've put through it." I musta been shooting 300 rounds a week on average when I finally started using others. Many, many, others...