The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 6, 2000, 10:36 PM   #1
Joe Portale

Would you folks be willing to share your pet loads for 30.06 round loaded for the Garand? I my reloading data due to a untimely crash of my hard drive. At this point a fifty cent pencil and two dollar notebook sounds like a great way to keep records.

thanks

"Even now in heaven there are angles carrying savage weapons".
- St Paul
Old December 7, 2000, 11:46 AM   #2
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

I use 47 grains of IMR4895 under either a 147 or 150 grain FMJ ball with CCI large rifle primers, and LC68 brass. The published arsenal load is a mite hotter than what I use but my load works fine. The 4895 that I use is a non-canister surplus powder but the burning rate seems to be exactly the same as canister grade IMR4895. I use my hard drive also to store data but I also write my loads with that 50c pencil in the notes section of my loading manuals.
Old December 8, 2000, 12:04 AM   #3
Casey

I also use a 47 gr imr4895 charge with a 150 gr FMJBT bullet in LC brass. This is accurate, and although the original military load did seem to be little hotter, this has more than enough punch. If you were going to use something for hunting, you would probably use a hotter load.

Casey

"To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men."
Abraham Lincoln
Old December 8, 2000, 11:56 PM   #4
alan

Garand loads

At one time, I used around 47 grains of canister grade 4895, with 167 and 180 grain boat tail, match bullets, the old Sierra and Hornady items.

Do not use slow burning powders in a Garand, bad for the operating rod, as port pressure tends to be to high.