The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 26, 2011, 11:37 AM   #1
oo0juice0oo

Division of Wildlife response...

I'm starting to gear up for hunting coyotes and had some questions, so I shot a couple of emails to the Colorado Division of Wildlife a few days ago. One email was asking about carcass disposal (I've heard some states consider it littering to just leave the bodies out in the field and wanted to be sure). This is the response I got:

"Dustin, you can leave the carcass in the field. In some countries dog is
considered a delicacy, Colorado is not one of them.
Have fun and happy hunting.

I hope this helps answer your question, Jim"

Thanks for the answer and the chuckle Jim!
Old October 26, 2011, 12:19 PM   #2
Chaz88

Might be worth picking up. I hear fur prices are coming back up a bit. But if you are not going to skin it I would not touch one of those mangy flea ridden critters.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old October 27, 2011, 05:16 PM   #3
Wyoredman

Juice, Now thats funny!

Here's one I used on the Wyoming Game and Fish a few years back:

The WGF prints area boundries in the regs. For example:

Area 3. Wapiti Ridge. Beginning where U.S. Highway 14-16-20 intersects the east boundary of Yellowstone National Park; easterly down said highway to the North Fork of the Shoshone River; easterly down said river to the South Fork of the Shoshone River at the Buffalo Bill Reservoir; southwesterly up said river to Deer Creek; westerly up said creek to the head of Butte Creek; westerly down said creek to the Thorofare River; westerly down said river to the Yellowstone National Park boundary; easterly then northerly along said boundary to U.S. Highway 14-16-20.

Anyway, a few years ago I had my sheep horns at the local WGF office to get plugged. The biologist on duty was very nice and after plugging the sheep for me asked where I got him.

I responded, "Up on SAID creek!". Now that biologist went over to the map hanging on the wall and started to look for SAID Cr. After about three minutes he finally asked me to show it to him.

Trying not to laugh, I took out a copy of the regs and pointed to where they described "...westerly up said creek to the head of Butte Creek".

The joke was on him! Now every time i see him I ask him if he has been up SAID Creek latley! HAHA.
Old October 27, 2011, 05:47 PM   #4
cornbush

I leave 'em to help fertilize the ground I took it from, rarely (almost never) take the pelt either.
Old October 28, 2011, 01:36 AM   #5
GM2

The ones I have shot have been on my own or my neighbor's Property . I just scoop out a hole with the tractor and burry them. I have shot some in the wooded area's and just leave them for buzzards.
Old October 28, 2011, 01:54 AM   #6
mrawesome22

Quote:
Dustin, you can leave the carcass in the field. In some countries dog is
considered a delicacy, Colorado is not one of them.
Have fun and happy hunting.

I hope this helps answer your question, Jim"
Colorado is a country now
Old October 28, 2011, 09:47 AM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Well, Colorado is bigger than Costa Rica, Monaco, Lichtenstein, Andorra and probably the Netherlands or Denmark.
Old October 28, 2011, 02:02 PM   #8
dahermit

In regard to proper disposal of coyotes, automobile kills of deer here in Michigan have made me wonder. Why is it the State of Michigan claims ownership of the deer, and when a poacher is caught, the state can assess charges for the income to the State which has been lost. However, a deer lying dead beside the road, the State will insist that the County owns it and is responsible for its removal. Seems the state only wants to own live deer. I cannot understand why that argument (the state owns the deer), cannot be used by counties to recoup the cost of carcass removal.
Old October 29, 2011, 07:58 AM   #9
shortwave

Quote:
...cannot be used by counties to recoup the cost of carcass removal.
Don't know about counties but in the City of Columbus,Ohio the State of Ohio re imburse's the city for expense's for removal of dead animals from the roadways.

One thing I'll say about a lot of counties in Ohio, in the rural areas they don't remove the animal but just throw lime on them.
Old October 29, 2011, 10:33 AM   #10
lead head

Coyotes will eat coyotes. Use the carcass for bait and kill more of its brethren.
Old October 31, 2011, 12:45 PM   #11
RevGeo

Personally I don't kill animals and just let them lie, but that's just me - what anybody else does is their business. I get $10 per coyote from a local fur buyer as long as I don't skin it.