The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 16, 2010, 11:37 AM   #1
KingEdward

Birthday required for knife purchase...

Went to Kmart yesterday.

Picked up a gerber 2.25inch knife for a nephew's christmas gift.

Before the cashier would ring it up she asked me for my birthdate
(month/day/year)

I complied.

So now, someone can't buy a little knife without having to divulge
personal information?

Does anyone know if this is Kmart specific, or State (TN) law, or National?

Thanks.
Old December 16, 2010, 12:26 PM   #2
Drummer101

I think it is 18 for knives. I know a friend who did the basic when he was 17 but still even while in uniform could not get a knife over the counter.
Old December 16, 2010, 12:37 PM   #3
Doodlebugger45

I've never heard of such a thing. I haven't been into a KMart in years though. I have purchased a couple hunting knives in the past year from sporting goods stores but they never asked for ID.

So, presumably, that would apply to buying a steak knife too? How about a butter knife? And what about the plastic knives in the picnic sets? You realize that plastic knives in general could be a severe menace because they can't be detected in a metal detector right?
Old December 16, 2010, 01:42 PM   #4
scottl

It's nothing new.You also get asked for ID when buying aeresol products.
Old December 16, 2010, 02:37 PM   #5
Glenn E. Meyer

I bought ammo and was asked if I were over 18. I said more than 3 times.

Life.

BTW, a 2.5 inch knife is not trivial. Box cutters led to two wars that are still going on.
Old December 16, 2010, 11:23 PM   #6
Crankylove

Just be glad you don't have to register that knife............yet.
Old December 17, 2010, 08:01 AM   #7
kx592

At walmart I have to show my ID to buy duct tape...I would not be to worried about it for a knife.
Old December 20, 2010, 05:20 PM   #8
Ditto_95

That is absurd.
I don't give stores, let alone wall mart or kmart any personal info.
My phone number is 555-1234 when they ask at lowes.
Old December 20, 2010, 05:23 PM   #9
pax

Spray paint. I got carded for buying spray paint.

pax
Old December 20, 2010, 09:51 PM   #10
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax
Well yeah. They wanted to make sure you were of legal age to huff that stuff.

Funny, the hardware store I work at sells gallons of toluene, benzene, and other such stuff and we never card... Must be an Idaho thing.
Old December 21, 2010, 10:45 AM   #11
pax

The clerk said it was about graffiti. Didn't even think about the huffing angle.

pax
Old December 21, 2010, 11:25 AM   #12
Glenn E. Meyer

I worked on analyzing substance abuse data for the NW (Oregon, WA) in the early 90's. For poorer kids, native amercians, folks away from the cities - inhalants were a very large proportion of substance of choice.
Old December 30, 2010, 10:03 PM   #13
Wheeler1

This is classic!

When we were in England in 2002-2005, the purchase of tableware place settings came with a warning that the knives contained there in came under the 'Dangerous Weapons' heading and were considered 'controlled' and required a 'reason' to purchase.

Oh YEAH, I bought a nice knife in Kmart in Nashville and was asked my age as well, day, month and year. Actually I was flattered. I'm 62 years old and grey haired.

DUMB, DUMB, DUMB!!!
Old January 3, 2011, 02:22 PM   #14
USAFNoDak

Bought my kid a new Buck knife for deer skinning at a Fleet Farm. No phone number or birthdate required. I wonder what the cashier at KMart would do if you gave July 4th, '76 as your birthday. Think their brain would process fast enough to "get it"? By the way, fleet farm has never asked my age for handgun or any ammunition. I'm sure I look older than 18, but some stores ask "everyone" just so they don't appear to be "descriminating".
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams.
Old January 3, 2011, 08:46 PM   #15
44 AMP
Staff

Store policy & local conditions...

Quote:
The town 20 miles away (with an ethnic gang problem) has an ordnance, and all the stores have the spray paint locked up. The Walmart also keeps all the video games and movies locked up.

The town 20 miles away, the other way, doesn't. And they (Walmart included) don't.

Walmart always rings up to ask for my age for a number of products. Rarely do clerks actually ask for my birthdate. Once in a while they do ask, if I'm over 17/18 or 21, jokingly. Most just glance at the gray hair and white beard and punch something into the cash register and go on ringing up items.

I never get insulted by being asked, because I recognise its just procedure, and the clerks can actually get in trouble (technically) if they don't ask. Usually a level look, and a raised eyebrow is plenty to send them into embarassed activity.

Many places have either laws or local ordnances prohibiting sale of a knife to a minor (although the limit is sometimes lower, 16, or 14). And in more rural America, even these rules are often ignored by local merchants. But we don't advertise that fact, after all, in an era when you cannot carry a set of fingernail clippers on an airplane, letting a 9 year old buy a pocketknife is barbaric...isn't it?

The town that cards you (as an obvious adult) for buying spraypaint is not going to sell a child a "dangerous weapon" like a pocketknife.

Alles muss in Ordnung sein! its not just for Europeans anymore!
Old January 3, 2011, 10:35 PM   #16
tony pasley

In many states it is the law that you have to be 18 or older to buy a knife, folding or straight blade. The comical part is you can buy a multitool or kitchen knife set they don't even blink.
Old January 4, 2011, 10:47 AM   #17
Glenn E. Meyer

I did get carded in the Marble Slab once - when I wanted the senior ice cream cone!

Guess they wanted to keep us fatter.
Old January 5, 2011, 08:53 PM   #18
chasep255

I think its funny that you have to be 18. Everyone knows that people under 18 are so much more capable and dangerous and those who are over.
Old January 6, 2011, 06:19 PM   #19
USAFNoDak

I wonder what they'd say if a 17 year old boy scout came into the store and bought a hatchet. I'm guessing even a pack of BB's is a big no-no to sell to minors these days. We used to buy them at the local hardware store, no questions asked. Of course, when I was a kid, we used to buy cigars and the store owner would comment, you're gonna turn green. We'd tell him they were for our dad and he'd just nod and say, "Uh huh".
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams.
Old January 6, 2011, 06:50 PM   #20
LinuxHack3r

Well, that really really ****** me off was I was at Walmart I randomly found a little (Smith's I believe) knife sharpener that slid into itself

I was 17 at the time and was asked for my ID. Well I obviously didn't add up on their computer, and she said it was a "no go". I was very close to (politely) pulling out my knife, exclaiming I already had the "dangerous part", I just wanted to keep it sharp.

Instead, I gave in, and paid for my other stuff. But really, a knife sharpener?

My favorite are the guys at the fleamarkets selling the cheap $2 Frost knives that insist you show them ID to be able to simply pickup one of their knives. Once again, I was underage, and simply picked up one of these knives, and the (Indian, from India) explained to me that I could not touch the knives without adult supervision. I simply said "Sounds good, I guess you won't be selling anything to me today" and walked off.

What the hell has this country gone to?

Oh, btw, having turned 18, I"ve been to the exact same Walmart, requested to buy ammo, and haven't even been asked for my ID OR age....they simply input a random acceptable date themselves. I wonder what one could do by simply raising some hell by writing a letter to the manager demanding justice over such inequalities?
Old January 6, 2011, 06:51 PM   #21
Patriot86

I have gotten carded for candles before, Lighter fluid, even ALEVE and OTC(non controlled) cough meds. Hell I ever got carded while buying some nails once, its crazy in this day and age. I must say though I have never been carded for a knife before.
Old January 6, 2011, 08:13 PM   #22
youngunz4life

they enter our name and/or license info if we buy sudafed for a cold. on the shelf is just a card and the goods are actually in the pharmacy when you give the lady the card and pay for it with money and license. you can only buy a certain amount and have to have time in between. I sent my wife back when we needed more. Lol reason they do this being crystal meth I guess.
Old January 7, 2011, 01:24 AM   #23
patrickmn

Stores in Tennessee keep records of pseudoephedrine and those records may be checked because an individual is only allowed to buy so much within a month's time. It is one of the primary ingredients for one of the most common meth recipes. The number of meth-related charges compared to the total number of charges is really quite sad. One of the ways they can find people making it is to check records at various stores and see who is pharmacist shopping to get more than the legal amount.

I had a guy looking at knifes for about an hour one evening. When I finally went to ring it up, the computer asked if he was 16. I asked for ID and he gave me a learner's permit because he was 15. His mother was angry.

The great thing about America is that these things are not store policies, they are state laws, and if you don't like it, you can tell your state and local representatives how you feel.
Old January 7, 2011, 02:19 AM   #24
jimpeel

We at Wal-Mart have to determine age before various items can be sold. Knives from the sporting goods area require an age of sixteen. Knives from the housewares department do not. Go figure.

Now, if a kid does come up and wishes to purchase a knife, his/her legal parent or guardian can allow the sale. We can override any age restriction, by parental approval, for anything other than Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, or ammunition. Anyone else see the relationship of those items?

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old January 7, 2011, 02:26 AM   #25
jimpeel

LinuxHack3r,

I have the same reservations about the knife sharpener. Just because they are made by a knife manufacturer they have an age restriction. Hell, you could just as easily bend down and sharpen the knife on their polished concrete floor. Just don't try to buy the floor unless you are of age.

The reason they haven't asked for an ID at time of purchase of ammo is because we are prompted for the age. It is our determination as to whether we push the <yes> or <no> button. If there were any doubt you would be asked for ID. It's kinda our call on whether you look old enough or not. If we err, we can be written up or even fired.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey