The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 3, 2009, 01:21 PM   #1
golfnutrlv

Teaching a Newbie Friend to Shoot

Hello all,

Looking for a little insight about teaching a friend to shoot. I have pretty good knowledge and skills regarging the material.

I plan on an intense safety discussion, and of course, will start him on my .22 rifle, and then work on pistols.

I have experience with teaching other subjects, and I am pretty good about communicating effectively and succinctly.

Any ideas of specific things or ideas for teaching him? I have pretty extensive firearms knowledge and training in tactical pistol shooting. Just looking for some help distilling that info into the best package for a new guy!

Any help appreciated!!
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old April 3, 2009, 01:27 PM   #2
THEZACHARIAS

Are we talking some experience, or zero experience (your friend I mean)? Assuming you're gonna hit all the safety stuff hard, would start off with sight alignment and proper trigger pull. Make sure he has the basics down before moving to more complicated stuff.
Old April 3, 2009, 02:13 PM   #3
golfnutrlv

He has fired a pellet gun. Nothing beyond that. This is just intended to be an introduction to the shooting world, and get him started on the right foot, while having a fun range day.
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old April 3, 2009, 02:47 PM   #4
pax

www.corneredcat.com/Teaching/newshooter.aspx

No time for more right now, but that should get you started.

pax
Old April 3, 2009, 02:50 PM   #5
GuyMontag

I wouldn't even go to a range and would spend a day with him in a controlled place going over safety. It's hard to go over safety rules at a range. When I take rookies shooting, I invite them over and give them a course on safety, operation, etc then we head to the range to apply that.

I always thought there was too much to know, learn, etc and it's hard to do and concentrate on at a range.
Old April 3, 2009, 03:47 PM   #6
EricReynolds

I've brought a good handful of friends to the range who had never been before. I find that the best and easiest way to teach someone is to go first and before I even let them touch a gun, I just have them watch me. As they watch what I do, I explain everything it is that I'm doing and why I'm doing it. Eyewear and ear protection, check, inspect the weapon, check, etc. Now watch me shoot. Any questions? If no, I'll let you take a turn as I stand right next to you and make sure you don't forget anything. My numbskull cousin loads magazines backwards. I'm serious. Oddly enough, it's his only problem, so I load his weapon for him. I stopped tieing his shoes for him though.
Old April 3, 2009, 07:32 PM   #7
Mannlicher

hard for me to relate to this. All of my friends are gun cranks.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old April 3, 2009, 08:53 PM   #8
golfnutrlv

Thanks Pax, that's perfect!!
Old April 3, 2009, 09:48 PM   #9
chris in va

Yeah, got some advice. Make it fun. Don't talk them to death about sight picture, holding it right, stance etc etc. Set up some 'reactive' targets that make noise or bust when hit.

Once they get the idea, let them plink away.
Old April 3, 2009, 09:59 PM   #10
GUNSITE

I have pretty extensive firearms knowledge and training in tactical pistol shooting. Just looking for some help distilling that info into the best package for a new guy! END QUOTE

If you have extensive firearm knowledge, and tactical training, just teach him what you experienced, start from the beginning minus the mistakes, teach safety and the fundamentals of target shooting, Aiming, sights, loading, squeeze, hand position, etc... etc...etc.

Your a good friend for helping him/her learn to shoot
Old April 3, 2009, 10:28 PM   #11
12GaugeShuggoth

Quote:
Set up some 'reactive' targets that make noise or bust when hit.
+100. To someone who isn't already "in" to shooting, simply pulling the trigger and feeling the gun hit them in the shoulder isn't really all that interesting. Setting up some kind of reactive target is almost assured to make it easier for them to enjoy. I mean c'mon, making soda cans dance with a .22lr will always be fun, I don't care how much you shoot you just can't take the fun away from it. Bring a can of soda you don't plan on drinking, shake it up real good and let them shoot it........instant smile.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old April 3, 2009, 11:13 PM   #12
golfnutrlv

I like the exploding pop can idea. Unfortunately, we are going to the indoor range I am a member at. Paper and cardboard will have to suffice for now.

Thanks for all the help so far, keep other ideas flowing...
Old April 11, 2009, 11:10 AM   #13
golfnutrlv

Hey everyone who helped out with this thread: Thank You!!!

The new shooter session went great, and he is hooked!

Thanks everyone for your help with my thread!