The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 16, 2007, 08:16 PM   #1
AKGunner

Own a 650/Want a single stage press

Currently I own a Dillon 650 that I use for 45acp, 9mm, and 38 special. I currently have calipers, digital scale, etc. I usually load up 500-1000 rounds before switching over to a new caliber.

I just purchased a Smith and Wesson 500 and want to reload for it. I might even reload for my 300 win mag.

I'm thinking of getting a single stage press that I can leave set up next to my Dillon might be just the ticket to load these two calibers. High speed and lots of rounds are not a consideration.

Any suggestions on a good single stage press? Also, what other gear would I need that I might not already have?
Old September 16, 2007, 08:52 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I have been loading my rifle ammo on a Rockchucker since 1971.
There are others but that one works.

I would get a good bench powder measure so as to not have to weigh every load.
Old September 16, 2007, 09:18 PM   #3
kansas45

+1 on the Rockcrusher. I have one set up next to my 2 Dillon 550's. I use it for my revolver target loads & for reloding rounds for the hunting rifles.
Old September 16, 2007, 09:41 PM   #4
BigJakeJ1s

Forster Co-ax. Very accurate, very easy to change dies, etc. Automatic shell holder jaws work great. Captures ever spent primer. Best designed, best built single stage press out there. I sure like mine!

If you want to reload REALLY long cartrdges, or have any ideas of reloading 50 bmg, etc., the Redding UltraMag is a better choice, but 2nd overall.

Andy
Old September 16, 2007, 10:37 PM   #5
Hunter0924

I am a Hornady man myself. Right now Hornady has a great bullet promotion on new presses.
I have been loading on one about 10 years not and my father about twice that long.
Old September 16, 2007, 10:41 PM   #6
DonR101395

Another +1 for the Rockchucker. Mines been turning out quality ammo since 87.
Old September 16, 2007, 10:49 PM   #7
rwilson452

Two presses come to mind the Rock Chucker and the Lee Classic Cast. Both are good old iron I bought the Classic Cast for my single stage. It does deal with spent primers as the ram is hollow and has a tube off the bottom of the ram. I ran the tube into a 3lb coffee can that sits on the floor under the bench. it holds a lot of spent primers. You can also get the Lee new safety prime for the Lee press. I don't have that option but I here it works very well. Incidently the Lee Classic Cast was designed to be able to handle the 50 BMG round. Lots of room in there for a big hands guy like me. All the leverage you will need to handle any cartridge without effort.
Old September 16, 2007, 11:15 PM   #8
Wildalaska

Rockchucker, bought at a garage sale for $10

WildimperviousandeternaltoolAlaska TM
Old September 17, 2007, 06:31 AM   #9
VaFisher

Quote:
Forster Co-ax. Very accurate, very easy to change dies, etc. Automatic shell holder jaws work great. Captures ever spent primer. Best designed, best built single stage press out there. I sure like mine!

If you want to reload REALLY long cartrdges, or have any ideas of reloading 50 bmg, etc., the Redding UltraMag is a better choice, but 2nd overall.

Andy
I have a Forster myself and feel the same as Andy.
I also have a couple of others I purchase before the Forster and I will not meantion the name of them as I sold them after the Forster purchase. I have used the Rockchucker several times over the years and would say that it would be my secound choice if the Forster was not available. I do have a turret press that I use for loading handgun ammo to speed up things a bit.
Old September 17, 2007, 09:29 AM   #10
Archie

They're all pretty good.

I had a RCBS 'Junior' until it was stolen. It did good work on various handgun and rifle rounds. I had an old Lyman "Spar-T" turret press that I used for handgun ammo and left it set up for .38 Special and .45 ACP. It was stolen in the same raid as the Junior.

I replaced them with with a Lee Turret press. The early one that didn't auto index. I loaded a zillion rounds of handgun and a lot of rifle ammo with it. I finally wore it out where the big bolts screw into the main body.

So the next press was (is) my current XL650. If I told you how much I liked it, you'd think you were reading Blue Press.

However, for a single stage press, I bought a Dillion AT 500. It's a simplified 550 I understand. Uses tool heads but doesn't auto index. It's more akin to a turret press than a single stage, but still good for precision ammo or short runs of experimental stuff.

But I don't see the AT 500 advertised much these days.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old September 17, 2007, 04:10 PM   #11
AKGunner

Thanks for the tips. Now I have some ideas on what to start researching. Wildalaska, where do you get the $10 Rockchuckers in Anchorage? I usually only see baby clothing and old hole peppered waders.

Bruce
Old September 17, 2007, 04:14 PM   #12
Wildalaska

Ya got to get out there and dig. I had a guy come in with a custom mauser he bought in a garage sale for $50. I got a S&W 28 at one for $200....

First words when ya walk up...Hi, any guns or reloading stuff?

WildbusierthanhillaryclintonatachinesefundraiserAlaska TM
Old September 17, 2007, 07:02 PM   #13
flashhole

My bench sports two Ultramags. It's a fantastic press.

For the guys who have the Forster Co-Ax.....do you load large magnum cartridges? I had a Co-Ax, nice press, but I got tired of getting my fingers pinched loading the 300 Win Mag and 45-70. For me there just wasn't enough throw. The Ultramag solved those problems.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old September 20, 2007, 09:10 AM   #14
bosipipes

I too also have a rockchucker next to my dillon 550. Working good for the last 10yrs. that replaced my first press which was a partner press.
Old September 20, 2007, 05:05 PM   #15
bigautomatic

Another Rockchucker fan here.
Old September 21, 2007, 09:38 AM   #16
FM12

Got to go with the Forester Co-Ax also...best for any but the biggest magnum calibers, I guess. Loads 30-06 for me all day long, no strain. I love mine, and wouldn't buy anything else. The built in features beat any other press hands-down.
Old September 21, 2007, 05:34 PM   #17
shepherddogs

I would look at the Hornaday Lock N Load single stage. I have the automatic version and love it. The dies just snap in and out.
Old September 21, 2007, 08:57 PM   #18
BigJakeJ1s

Quote:
For the guys who have the Forster Co-Ax.....do you load large magnum cartridges? I had a Co-Ax, nice press, but I got tired of getting my fingers pinched loading the 300 Win Mag and 45-70. For me there just wasn't enough throw. The Ultramag solved those problems.
I would not consider either of those very long cartridges. I've handled 270 win and 8x57 in mine, with lots of room (45-70 is shorter than either of those, 300 win mag is only .1" longer than 270win). I use Hornady or Forster seater dies, both have the sliding alignment sleeve that helps get your fingers out of the way sooner. What seating dies were you using?

Andy
Old September 27, 2007, 03:01 PM   #19
Stumpy16076

Single Stage Press

I use a Rockchucker given to me by a friend-the press belonged to his Father. When my buddy bought a Dillon 550, he figured he had no use for the 'Chucker! If I were going to purchase a press I would take a good look at the Lee Classic-Midway and others sometimes have them on sale. Looks like a great press, with the spent primer ejection out the ram, and the newer style of primer arm. You can also get the Hornady Lock N' Load conversion for any press using the screw-in bushing-I'm thinking of getting one for my Rockchucker. I normally load rounds on my Dillon 550, but somtimes it's nice to have the leverage of a single-stage, or maybe a seperate operation (like depriming).