The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 27, 2010, 04:48 PM   #26
FALPhil

Quote:
Could I be prosecuted for lying to a federal investigator?
Lying to investigators was the only thing they could convict Martha Stewart on; the rest was rendered "not guilty".

You might also take note that it is not against the law for federal investigators to lie to you.
Old January 27, 2010, 06:50 PM   #27
wally626

Having been on both sides of this, most investigators basically have told me most people have nothing of interest to say. For the ones I have given, there has just never been anything I knew of interest. As far as I know nobody was having an affair, bankrupt, spending beyond there means involved in criminal activities etc. etc. A lot is just to verify that if you said you lived at address 105 street lane, you actually lived their, stuff like that. My first clearance was the worst, I had lived in so many different places over the previous 15 years, that figuring out where and whom my neighbors was took forever, not to mention foreign trips I could not remember any details of. I think I re-did the form several times, after the reviewers kept coming back with, that part is filled out wrong, where exactly were you for the month of August in 19XX, when did you go to Canada, Europe, with whom, who did you see. etc. etc.
Old January 27, 2010, 08:27 PM   #28
44 AMP
Staff

Remember OKC bombing?

The folks McVeigh stayed with got years in jail for not telling the Feds he was going to do a bombing. Their defense was, basically, "we didn't think he was serious". They went to jail.

I believe if you have direct personal knowledge of a crime, (and yes, planning a crime is also a crime - conspiracy) then you have a moral obligation to report it. You may have a legal obligation, then again, you may not. That is much more fact dependant, and if you have any doubts, you ought to be talking to a good lawyer.

If your friend has done some questionable things, but not clearly illegal, then I think it would depend on how you felt about them being a disqualifier for what ever position he is being cleared for. If they ask, don't lie. If they don't ask, .....your call.

Guess that doesn't help all that much...sorry!