The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 4, 2009, 02:21 PM   #1
bapfreak

NEF Pardner 28ga OR NEF Topper Deluxe Classic 20ga

I am selling my current shotgun and buying a new one. I have narrowed it down to 2 shotguns:

NEF Pardner 28ga
NEF Topper Deluxe Classic 20ga

I want to get something that is light and kicks less than my autoloader. My first shotgun was a NEF Pardner 12ga; it was great, but kicked hard. I got rid of it and got an autoloader 12ga. It functions perfectly, but is too heavy and barely kicks less than any other 12ga I have fired (except the Pardner) and is a royal pain to clean; so I am selling it. I don't have enough money for a SxS or O/U and I hate pumps (don't mean to offend anyone) and I don't want an autoloader either. So I guess my question is this:

How much less will a 28ga kick than a 20ga?

Ammo availability is not a problem for me (I see 28ga in every gun store around here). I am willing to pay more money for ammo IF there is a noticeable difference.

Has anyone shot both gauges?

If so, is there really a noticeable difference between the two?

Also, I don't reload so lowering the powder is not an option and "low recoil" rounds are harder to find here than 28ga so that is out of the question also.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by bapfreak; November 4, 2009 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old November 4, 2009, 02:46 PM   #2
oneounceload

no other way to say this politically correct, so here goes - HEAVY gun plus LIGHT load = LOWEST recoil

You're wanting to take a light gun and get low recoil - the only thing less than a 28 is a 410

28's typically run about $11/box, while 20's can run as little as 5.50

A semi gas gun like a 1100 reduces perceived recoil even more

If your gun, no matter what type, doesn't fit, it will appear to kick more and leave bruises. Perhaps a day at a good gun club with knowledgeable folks will allow you to try many guns, possibly get properly fitted and see what can be done. Many a small-frame woman has handled a 12 gauge when it fits.....
Old November 5, 2009, 03:40 PM   #3
Jeremiah/Az

Either of those guns will rap you pretty good.Obviously,the 28 less.You didn't say what brand auto you have.Have you tried light loads in it? 3 dram 1 oz. or 7/8(hard to find if you don't reload) should not kick bad if the gun fits you.
Old November 5, 2009, 04:39 PM   #4
oneounceload

I own guns in 12, 20 and 28 - my softest shooting gun is my 1100 in 28 with added weight shooting lighter than factory loads, second is my 8-1/2# 12 shooting 1oz loads running 1145 fps. In both cases, Heavy gun plus light load means I can shoot either of them all day - over 300 rounds one time, usually 200 on a decent sporting clays course......
Old November 5, 2009, 05:38 PM   #5
bapfreak

Thanks for the input, but still most of you are missing the point (no offense ). My autoloading shotgun works perfectly, but is too heavy for my liking. I know from rudimentary physics that a lighter gun equals more recoil. I simply want to know how much more recoil does a 20 gauge have compared to a 28 gauge in the same gun. I'm looking for a qualitative, not quantitative, answer like: "20 gauge kicks a lot more" or "20 gauge barely kicks more". I'm not looking for an autoloader, pump, side by side, or over under. I'm just looking to buy a single shot and want to know before I buy it how much the recoil difference will be. If it is negligible I will go with a 20 gauge. If it is noticeable, I will go with 28 gauge even if the shells cost more money.

BTW - (Where I have looked, Winchester AA cost about the same in 28 or 20)
Old November 5, 2009, 05:49 PM   #6
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

For maximum punch with moderate recoil the 20 is the way to go. If you are willing to settle for a smaller shot load and given your other criteria the 28 is your logical choice. What are you using it for?
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old November 5, 2009, 06:06 PM   #7
bapfreak

I will be using it primarily for shooting clays (informally, thrown by hand) and maybe (emphasize maybe) for hunting small upland birds. Admittedly I haven't been hunting in years simply because it requires a lot of preparation.
Old November 5, 2009, 07:12 PM   #8
oneounceload

to answer your blunt question, it is negligible
Old November 5, 2009, 07:49 PM   #9
Messersmith

Is the Pardner offered in 28 ga?
Old November 5, 2009, 08:13 PM   #10
bapfreak

Yes, see for yourself:

NEF Pardner
Old November 5, 2009, 09:02 PM   #11
Messersmith

Thanks Bryce. I was thinking Pardner Pump rather than the single shot.
Old November 5, 2009, 09:14 PM   #12
tju1973

depends what yuo hunt. 12 Ga (and even 20) are overkill for quail, dove, and other small birds- -and not very sporting. I use a .410-- but really would like a 28 U/O or even an auto-- but price wise they usually are too high..

I did not know that NEF had a 28-- I may have to call down for a price tomorrow--

I vote 28 all the way...