The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 6, 2012, 11:26 PM   #1
sandman_nv

What's the best way...

to ship a cap and ball revolver to a person?

USPS, Fedex, UPS?

Should a bill of sale be included?

Do you need special instructions or handling on the package?

any and all advice appreciated
Old February 6, 2012, 11:51 PM   #2
Fingers McGee

USPS Priority insured w/electronic return receipt is how I ship all my C&Bs. Easier, faster, cheaper and more reliable than either UPS or FedEx IMNSHO. No special instructions or labeling required. You don't have to tell them it's a C&B, and you don't have to include an invoice - unless you want to or the buyer wants one included.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old February 7, 2012, 12:04 AM   #3
arcticap

Flat rate Priority Mail is great if the gun fits into one of those flat rate boxes.
But since insurance is more costly when sending by U.S. Mail, if it doesn't fit into a flat rate box then I'll use Fedex.
It's quicker than Parcel Post and there's a tracking number included without extra cost.
I've seen folks pay as much to ship a revolver by Priority Mail as it costs to ship a heavier rifle by Fedex, all because they didn't or couldn't fit it into a flat rate Priority Mail box and the higher cost for Postal insurance .

Last edited by arcticap; February 7, 2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old February 7, 2012, 12:32 AM   #4
Beagle333

I use USPS. Fast delivery, tracking available all the way, and the box resembles a box when it gets there. Send it UPS and I don't know what they do with it, but it won't be square upon delivery.
Old February 7, 2012, 06:15 AM   #5
Doc Hoy

USPS

A Walker will fit in an 11.00 box.

I have to get on the soap box against those knuckleheads on Gunbroker who charge 30.00 bucks to ship a revolver. They are just trying to bolster their profits under the guise of shipping. It is total BS.
Old February 7, 2012, 08:16 AM   #6
Hawg

I got a package from FedEx a couple of weeks ago and I followed the driver to the back of the truck. There were two shelves in the front of the box and the bottom one had fallen. There were about 7 or 8 packages of various sizes sliding around on the floor unsecured. I generally use USPS.
Old February 7, 2012, 10:39 AM   #7
Beagle333

Quote:
I have to get on the soap box against those knuckleheads on Gunbroker who charge 30.00 bucks to ship a revolver.
I saw a nice parts gun on there this weekend for a good deal, and then I double checked just before I bid, $38 bucks shipping!!. I almost fell for that one.
That put the price up near that of an actual working model.
Old February 7, 2012, 11:19 AM   #8
PetahW

Since a cap 'n ball revolver is not a friearm under Federal Law, I too use USPS Flat Rate Boxes.

FWIW, I dismount Colt-clone barrels & wrap separately from the cylinder & frame in the single box.

I've never had a damaged gun, "firearm" or not, arrive via USPS yet - in over 30 transactions since the 1980's.

I did have UPS damage a flintlock rifle that someone sent me, that was packaged nowhere near as securely as I usually do - the CB blew out through the wetted end of a cardboard shipping box.

Old February 7, 2012, 02:35 PM   #9
arcticap

A lot of folks prefer using Postal Money Orders for transactions because they can be cashed right at the Post Office window, providing that the clerk has enough cash in the drawer.
And I often use them too because of the convenience.
However if a Postal Money Order is lost, it takes 180 days for the money to be returned.
That's a long time to wait, especially if it was for a lot of money.

Last edited by arcticap; February 7, 2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old February 7, 2012, 04:45 PM   #10
KEYBEAR

The High Cost of Shipping ????

I totaly agree with Doc Hoy .
A week or two ago I almost bought a BP Revolver off a web site untill I seen the shipping cost 30 bucks Plus Ins.

KEYBEAR
Old February 7, 2012, 08:33 PM   #11
Wolf and Raven

USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Box well packaged. You can get a discount and free delivery confirmation if you print postage online off the USPS web site. Ans yes, a far better chance the Box will still look like a box than what you get from UPS.
Old February 7, 2012, 11:42 PM   #12
sandman_nv

ok, looks like the consenus is USPS, which i admit surprised me bit.

so all good answers, thanks everyone!

and yeah, the inflated postage always leaves a bad taste
Old February 8, 2012, 04:45 AM   #13
arcticap

I once received a used BP revolver through the mail inside of a medium flat rate box with a few inches of the barrel sticking out of the bottom corner of the box. Thankfully it wasn't damaged at all and when I saw the letter carrier he told me how concerned they were down at the post office about the contents. But he told the other postal employees not to worry because he figured that it wasn't loaded.
I guess that the lesson is to try to wrap the gun with something to cushion the sharp edges so that it won't bust through the box during handling. Or at least reinforce the inside of the box with some tape where it's rubbing.

Last edited by arcticap; February 8, 2012 at 05:11 AM.