The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 18, 2010, 02:20 AM   #1
burger and fries

Night Sights

hello,

any opinions between Trijicons and Meprolights? which do you prefer and why.

thanks,
bnf
Old March 18, 2010, 02:45 AM   #2
Ridge_Runner_5

Without having owned either, I'd go with the more reknowned name of Trijicon...
Old March 18, 2010, 04:23 AM   #3
hknut

I have both. Trij on my Sig's and Mepro's on my HK. Truth be told the Mep's are brighter, but I like the Trij's better.

Walk softly and carry a big SIG.
Old March 18, 2010, 05:18 AM   #4
ac700wildcat

I don't know if it matters to you or not, but I believe Trijicons are made in the US and the Meprolites are made overseas somewhere. I was between the two and decided to go with the Trijicons for this reason.
Old March 18, 2010, 02:01 PM   #5
burger and fries

thanks,

i didn't know that...Mepro is overseas? go figure.

bnf
Old March 19, 2010, 07:10 PM   #6
The Great Mahoo

I don't have either, but have been meaning to get a Mep for my Sp101. I'd be happy with a Trij, though.
Old March 19, 2010, 07:15 PM   #7
rsxr22

i very much like the mep's and have them on a few pistols. If you are open to other suggestions though, imo truly the very best site out their is the Tru-Glo TFO's. They glow brighter than any triji or mep at night and have a very bright fiber optic for day shooting. I prefer the green rear w orange front because with all green the dots tend to blend together on me and i find i have much faster target acquisition with the orange/green
Old March 19, 2010, 10:52 PM   #8
The Great Mahoo

I like the idea of TruGlo's, but they are too limited in firearm selection. I have been thinking about a set for my Glock, but I carry my SP101 more often, which doesn't have any TG's available. As such, I will be ordering a Mep or Trij when they come available again at a decent price.

Good to hear about the TGs, though, I may have to get a set afterall.
Old March 19, 2010, 11:35 PM   #9
qcpunk

I have a set of Trijicons on my XD and love em. I want to add a set to my Walther P99, but this is a daily carry gun and the Trijis for the Walther are way blockey. Im still deciding on that one, but lov ethe Trijicons on my XD
Old April 24, 2010, 05:43 PM   #10
Jack Bauer

I have to agree that the Meps are brighter...when I used to own a Glock, I was able to get Meps for about 3/4 the cost of the Trijicons, and was always happy with them. My current M&P 9 has Novak Trijicons on it, my M&P 40 has the factory night sights, which I believe are also Trijicon. I don't think you could go wrong with either...

I started out with nothing and still have most of it.
Old April 24, 2010, 07:32 PM   #11
Tacoma

Beyond brightness, you need to consider how the sights look in daylight. I tend to like the type with a large white outline around the Trit Vial for that reason. That said, I'm not a big 3 dot fan for any sights. I preffer the XS 24/7 system for my needs.
Old April 25, 2010, 04:16 AM   #12
oldandslow

b&f, 4/25/10

I have a number of different types of night sights on my pistols- Trijicon, Meprolights, and MMC (when they were in business). Trijicons and Meprolights are both quality sights- the Mepros are cheaper and brighter, the Trijicons more expensive but with better customer service. I have emailed both Trijicon and Meprolight with questions about their sights- Trijicon always responds and is quite helpful, I have never had a reply from Meprolight. So I usually buy Trijicons when I can.

best wishes- oldandslow