The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old November 12, 2009, 06:36 AM   #1
batman44

molds

I need to know what size of molds to get for making bullets for ruger super black hawk 44 mag, 357 mag,and for a colt gold cup 45acp.
I am new to this art and do not want to blow anything up
Old November 12, 2009, 07:08 AM   #2
hornady

I could give you mould sizes, but you would still be in the dark as to sizing . Just starting out. Buy either the Lyman or RCBS cast bullet manuals and do some reading. Casting is a great hobby, but get the Basics down first
Old November 12, 2009, 11:58 AM   #3
batman44

thanks

thank you for your help.
I have been reading all that I have found on the net,
Old November 12, 2009, 12:07 PM   #4
grumpa72

Both of my Colt 1911 .45 acp's like the Lee Precision mold #90348. Scroll down until you get to the .45 acp molds - http://leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/.../bullmol2.html. While I don't reload the other two, I have Lee a Lee mold in 9mm that is equally as nice.

I happen to like the Lee aluminum mold since the temperature is easier for me to control. I have only been casting for a little over a year and I started out slowly. As suggested, lots of reading is a prerequisite for this hobby. I was fortunate that all three of my barrels really like the Lee mold sizing and needed no adjustment or different sizes. From memory, the .45 acp bullets measure out to .452 and the 9mm to .356(?). You might consider another forum other than the internet for your data. I used the ABCs of Reloading and I have the Lyman 49th Ed. Reloading manual. I found that there aren't any checks and balances to what you see on the internet. In addition, there isn't anyone to edit something and tell you that the person doing the posting is wrong!
Old November 12, 2009, 03:39 PM   #5
hornady

Batman I was not trying to blow you off with my reply. I have cast bullets for over 30 years. Just like reloading, there are many things that must be taken into consideration. From slugging the barrel to Alloy used. A lot of guys buy the Lee molds without sizing and tumble lube with no problem. Others need to size. It all depends on the slugged diameter of your barrel, Also Alloy used will affect the as cast Diameter of a Bullet. The manuals I recommended. Are cast Bullet specific. And will get you started in the right direction. Plus they are full of cast load information
Old November 12, 2009, 06:22 PM   #6
LHB1

My mould numbers wouldn't help you as I use Hensley & Gibbs moulds which are no longer available. In general, I recommend casting with a relatively hard alloy (NOT soft, swageable, pure lead) in a semi-wadcutter shape with a single, large lube groove. Flat base or bevel base bullet style is personal choice but bevel base bullets do start easier into the cases when seating. Bullet weight from a given mould will vary with the alloy used but roughly, I prefer the following:
a) .44 bullets, 240-250 gr, sized to .430"
b) .357 bullets, 150-160 gr, sized to .357-.358"
c) .45 ACP bullets, about 200 gr, sized to .451-.452".
These combos have served me well for many years with no problems. I use ALOX lube (50% ALOX and 50% pure beeswax) which is rather soft but works great. Gives excellent accuracy and no leading. Both RCBS and Saeco (sold by Redding) make excellent bullet moulds.

Last edited by LHB1; November 12, 2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old November 14, 2009, 06:27 AM   #7
batman44

thank you

Like I said , I am new to all this and ready to start.
I like this site becase the members here are willing to help.
Old November 14, 2009, 11:10 AM   #8
LHB1

Quote: "Like I said , I am new to all this and ready to start.
I like this site becase the members here are willing to help. "

The members here are willing to help but the best approach for a newcomer is to buy and read one or two books/manuals on cast bullet shooting first. This would answer many of your questions and help you understand the necessarily abbreviated answers we post. You won't need gas check bullets for pistols.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Lyman