The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 14, 2009, 02:16 PM   #1
SP Shop Foreman

Where are you storing it?

I was looking at the reloading bench pictures and it ocurred to me that a lot of reloaders have a lot of powder stored in the house, or in a room in the house.
Do any members here use either a bunker or a reloading room that is not attatched to, or in the house?

It might interest you to know that many (most) insurance companies won't cover fire damage that is "compounded " by gunpowders and loaded cartridges being stored inside the living structure.

Ours isn't attatched to the house and I'd probably not have thought of it except for my father's insurance broker asking about it last renewal.

Latigo

www.swissproductsllc.com
Old April 14, 2009, 02:18 PM   #2
Dan The Sig Man

You know I was kind of wondering that same thing. I am checking into Fire Cabinets or some kind of Storage device that will protect against a fire getting to my Powder and Primers.
Old April 14, 2009, 04:28 PM   #3
SP Shop Foreman

I think that this is one of those posts that will get a lot of reads and few responses. ..... But its worth thinking about.

Latigo

www.swissproductsllc.com
Old April 14, 2009, 05:29 PM   #4
AlaskaMike

Unless you have a tremendous amount of powder, it really isn't the big deal most people think it is, assuming the powder is still in their original containers (that are designed to rupture at low pressure). There are so many other things in the typical garage that are more dangerous--paint cans, oil bottles, etc.

That said, if you're concerned about it there are guidelines published by the NFPA which cover this. These are the guidelines which the insurance companies rely on. http://www.nfpa.org

Mike
Old April 14, 2009, 05:34 PM   #5
SP Shop Foreman

No, I'm not concerned for us because we have an addendum in the policy, but the agent said that it can come as a big surprise if something does happen and they discover gunpowder was stored in the house.
Just something to think about.

I meant to add that our agent is a strong gun supporter, but he also said that the issue is very PC among insurance companies.

Latigo

www.swissproductsllc.com

Last edited by SP Shop Foreman; April 14, 2009 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Comment
Old April 14, 2009, 06:02 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

Quote:
It might interest you to know that many (most) insurance companies won't cover fire damage that is "compounded " by gunpowders and loaded cartridges being stored inside the living structure.
If you are using legal storage methods for legal quantities, according to local fire codes and laws; the claim cannot be denied. (Unless you are insured through a back-alley company, and signed your life away for no real coverage.)

My insurance policy does have a few disclaimers in the "Fire and fire damage" section. Most important to this discussion, is a statement to the effect of: "...evidence of flammable materials, or negligent storage methods for flammable agents can be cause for claim denial..."

For now, I'll worry more about the gas can next to my water heater....
Old April 14, 2009, 08:30 PM   #7
BigDog454

And Where do you store your gasoline for your lawn mower??
Old April 14, 2009, 08:58 PM   #8
Dr. Strangelove

There have been a few lively threads on this, most end up as discussions between folks who want/need commercial type locked storage and those who just keep their powder on their bench and don't worry.

Evaluate your personal needs, talk with your insurance agent, then make an informed decision. Personally, I would much rather stand next to a pound of smokeless powder in it's original container than an equal amount of gasoline in it's container in a fire. Conferring with a few firefighter buddies, they agree.
Old April 14, 2009, 10:09 PM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

Next to the furnace, in front of the water heater.

I have a closet in the basement that's away from the utility room.

Powder goes in there.

"And Where do you store your gasoline for your lawn mower??"

What am I, my lawn service? It's their problem...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 14, 2009, 10:39 PM   #10
Steviewonder1

Storage

Powder above the bench and primers and bullits below. Brass is stored all over the place, have more than all of the other......
Old April 14, 2009, 10:42 PM   #11
Steviewonder1

Where it is in the Loading Room

Consider getting an Insurance Rider to cover Other things that can go BANG in the night like shooting an intruder, or your ammo going up in a fire that started in your next door neighbors house.......Mine is well into 7 digits. I feel fine.....