The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 7, 2005, 11:17 AM   #1
Roc

1960 Markwell Hawken gun kit

Gentleman…

I’m turning to the experts. I need some direction and advice.

My mother just recently passed away. While going thru some of her old boxes that were stored in her attic. I came across an old Markwell Arms Co. Hawken, Blackpowder .45 Cal gun kit. I haven’t seen that gun for 36 years. I always thought Mother threw it away. (She hated guns)
I remember I received the gun kit for Christmas in 1960, from my uncle Bob. He passed away when I was about 16. I remember my mother taking it away from me, after Christmas, saying I was too young for a gun. The box looks like it has all of the components but there was no instruction booklet. My son is now 14 and I thought it would be a great father /son project to put this together.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where I can obtain some assembly instructions? Other than some tarnish on the brass parts and a little on the outside of the barrel, it’s in sweet condition for being +36 years old….

I would appreciate anyone’s input or advice.
-Rick-
Old August 7, 2005, 01:51 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Welcome to The Firing Line. Surprise, surprise! The Markwell was also my first long gun and plunge into the world of blackpowder rifles. Like yours, mine also did not come with instructions.

Here's an excellent book to get you started: Dixon, Ehring and Miller's "Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle." It's available from virtually any blackpowder supplier includingTrack of the Wolf The book is spiral bound so it lays flat on your workbench. BTW, you don't have to get inletting black. Use a wide, black felt tip marker to mark your parts when you have to fit them. Get the book and get started.
Old August 11, 2005, 09:27 AM   #3
Roc

Thanks

What a great board. Thanks for the great advice. I thought the instruction booklet had been lost after all these years. I called borders and they have it on order for me. I'll keep you posted of our project progress.
-Roc-
Old August 11, 2005, 07:54 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

BTW, buy yourself a rib and attach it to the barrel. It'll give it more of a plains rifle look than that ugly brass chunk that the forearm is attached to. It looks rather cheesy with a two piece stock but will look O.K. if it's a one piece plains rifle. I'm in the process of converting mine.