The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 2, 2012, 09:57 AM   #1
RoosterBooster3632

Would like to try prairie dog hunting

I'm from NE Wisconsin and each year at the end of Oct. we make a trip west Pheasant hunting. We went to SD for several years and for the past four years we have been going to ND. There is a dog town close to the farm where we hunt in ND and a couple of guys brought their AR's this year and were shooting at the dogs. Looked like fun and will bring my AR and maybe my .17 HMR there next year. I was thinking that it looked like fun and would give me some extra time behind the trigger. That being said, I started thinking I might like to take a trip earlier next year to just find some prairie dogs. Any idea how far west I would have to go before I could get some shooting in? It sounds like most ranchers that have them are wanting to get rid of them. So I guess most would let you hunt their lands to rid them from their land. Any ideas or thoughts on what to do would be appreciated?
Old December 2, 2012, 11:32 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Why not just call the folks at the farm where you have been hunting, and ask them who they know, what they know? They could probably refer you to somebody who could be quite helpful.
Old December 2, 2012, 11:42 AM   #3
RoosterBooster3632

Maybe not travel as far.

I'm sure I could hunt the ranch we pheasant on but was hoping to maybe find something not quire as far away. We pheasan in the Regent / Mott area and it is 850 miles. Was hoping I could maybe find something not quite as far away!!
Old December 2, 2012, 10:23 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Looking at a map, it seems that eastern SD or SW Minnesota might be about as close as you might find prairie dogs.

Maybe do a hunt for gun shops in the area, or seed'n'feed stores. Those folks would know if the dogs are around the area, and maybe where a "tourist" could go shooting.
Old December 4, 2012, 05:24 PM   #5
ltc444

If you wander down AZ way, we have pretty good prairie dog hunting. We do have a season on them now so you would need to watch that.
Old December 5, 2012, 03:45 PM   #6
sourdough44

I went twice near Murdo, SD, then down to the White River area. I'm itching to go again.
Old December 5, 2012, 03:54 PM   #7
mwal

I am afraid in SD most of the dogs are west of The Missouri River. There are none in SW MN.

Mwal
Old January 12, 2013, 08:48 AM   #8
RoosterBooster3632

Bump
Old January 12, 2013, 10:21 AM   #9
Shep

Before investing much time and money in a prairie dog hunt, you might want to Google "plague and prairie dogs" in the Dakotas. This older article (below) describes the problem. There's more up to date info available online and from USF&W.
http://www.wildlifeextra.com/go/news...gue923.html#cr
Old January 12, 2013, 10:26 AM   #10
Grizz12

IIRC Colorado used to have an annual competition on a large ranch someplace
Old January 12, 2013, 06:15 PM   #11
FALPhil

Quote:
Before investing much time and money in a prairie dog hunt, you might want to Google "plague and prairie dogs" in the Dakotas. This older article (below) describes the problem. There's more up to date info available online and from USF&W.
Dang, Shep, it's not like anyone is going to eat the PDs they shoot in South Dakota or anywhere else. In fact, PD hunting is one way of limiting the spread of plague. Think about it, you have fun while you are doing a service. I say go ahead and invest!
Old January 13, 2013, 10:23 AM   #12
redneck

Maybe I misunderstood but that article led me to believe that some areas have suffered a large die-off of the plague ridden dogs, which would make them poor places to go and hunt.