The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 13, 2011, 08:44 PM   #1
OkieGentleman

Primers

Large Pistol primers and Magnum Large Pistol primers can both be used in 45ACP reloading. Is it safe to use the Magnum with the 45 ACP and what adjustments need to be made to powder type and quantity to do so? Also 15 year old primers, are they safe to use? Stored in dry place with lot of temp changes (garage). I am getting back into reloading. I used to load for .357 Mag and I have 500 Large Pistol Magnum primers, if they need to be thrown, fine. If I can use them on my 45 ACP loads safely I would prefer not to waste the money. I am getting a Lee Load Master press with all the goodies for my Xmas present, the little lady said to order what I want for Xmas.

I should note I took her to her first auction and I had to make a trip home to swap the sedan for the pickup and write a check for $300 to be able to leave the auction.

Boys if your wife had never been to an auction, leave it that way and do not offer to take her to one for an evening out!
Old November 13, 2011, 08:49 PM   #2
Chaz88

Quote:
I used to load for .357 Mag and I have 500 Large Pistol Magnum primers
Might want to check those again. .357 uses small pistol primers.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old November 13, 2011, 09:06 PM   #3
OkieGentleman

I will go back and look. Thanks, When you get old the second thing to go is the memory, I forget what the first is.
Old November 13, 2011, 09:49 PM   #4
BigRich

MAG PRIMERS

I to am getting back to reloading. I have some small pistol mag primers, and was thinking on using them in 9mm target loads.Would they be to hot? Was going to load 4.8grs WST lswc. What do you think. Thanks Rich
Old November 13, 2011, 10:23 PM   #5
454PB

If the primers have been kept cool and dry, they are fine.

I'm still using primers from the early 70's that perform perfectly.
Old November 13, 2011, 10:38 PM   #6
OkieGentleman

I was told by a supplier at Gun Show here in OKC, that the mag primer is "hotter" and might require a reduction of powder charge to be safe. Still gathering info before my new press gets here and I get into trouble due to ignorance about all the new powders and their characteristics. I loaded for accuracy not speed when I was reloading in the 70 and 80s.
Old November 13, 2011, 11:02 PM   #7
Charlie98

Quote:
I to am getting back to reloading. I have some small pistol mag primers, and was thinking on using them in 9mm target loads.Would they be to hot? Was going to load 4.8grs WST lswc. What do you think. Thanks Rich
I would NOT substitute magnum primers into the 9mm... the 9mm is a fairly small case, volume-wise, and anything that could drive the pressure higher is not a good thing. Believe me, I know.

I'm still using primers I bought in the late '80's and '90's... they are fine. I kept them in ammo cans stored in the garage and other places over the years, but I know there has not been any contamination. If there is any question I would dump them... why risk it over $15 worth of primers?
Old November 14, 2011, 12:11 AM   #8
Jim243

Quote:
Boys if your wife had never been to an auction, leave it that way and do not offer to take her to one for an evening out!

Too late, mine has been going to them for years. And let me tell you, you got off cheap. Wait till she starts bidding on jewelery. (LOL)

Oh, by the way those primers will be fine, you may want to drop your load by 0.20 grains but that's about it.

Jim
Old November 14, 2011, 08:17 AM   #9
Sevens

You can use a magnum primer in __ANY__ load that uses a regular primer as long as you re-work the load from a reduced-from-max starting place.

You may not get as good results with a magnum primer. (in many cases, you may get better results)

The main thing you absolutely must remember is that if you are running a hot, ragged-edge, pushing-the-envelope load and you simply stick a mag primer in there, you could push that load over the edge with catastrophic results.

There is no cartridge out there where you can't ever use a magnum primer outside of some of the really small rifle rounds where a too-strong primer has been linked to pushing the bullet out of the case before the burn and gas development does that work.

There are a number of folks who have transitioned completely to small rifle primers and no longer use small pistol. Small rifle primers have been known to be the equivalent to small pistol magnum primers. Many folks use them to no ill effect.

If you wish to try moving to a magnum primer -- do it, just make sure to start well under max and work toward your goal and there shouldn't be a problem.

Simply stating that "you should drop your load by xxx grains" is nothing more than taking a stab in the dark. That's not load development, that's guessing.
Old November 14, 2011, 08:29 AM   #10
OkieGentleman

Thanks for the info guys. I love this forum. You guys have kept me out of so much trouble over the years. I even enjoy most of the "intense" dis-cuss-ions.
Old November 14, 2011, 03:47 PM   #11
m&p45acp10+1

I use a lot of Remington standard SR primers in 9mm loads. I did start at the minimum load, and worked up. They work the same as the small pistol. I have a bunch of them from buying for my .221 Rem Fireball. I started using different primers in the .221 and had them left over.

For large pistol mag primers I have used a lot of them in .45 acp cast lead loads. I use them with the same results. (Can not tell from the way that I shoot.)
Old November 15, 2011, 10:04 AM   #12
billtheshrink

I keep ptimers in garage

In Vegas it gets hot and winters cold. So far no problems. Any feedback? Anyone use Tula? I have used Wolf and not toop happy eith them.

Sorry if this should be a new thread, i cannot figure out how to make a new thread.
Thanks
Old November 15, 2011, 10:25 AM   #13
hounddawg

Back during the great primer shortage of 2008/2009 all I could find were magnum pistol primers. I shoot mid range loads and never had a issue with 9mm, 45ACP, 38 sp, and .357 mags. All I use in my AR15 is magnum primers. Like I said though I don't use hot loads, never could see any reason to.

Last edited by hounddawg; November 15, 2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old November 15, 2011, 12:17 PM   #14
F. Guffey

There are no absolutes, I have 38 Special cases that use large pistol primers, thinking a couple of friend could/would appreciate them I shared, later I ask them how the cases worked out for them. They threw them away, there was something wrong with the cases, the primers would not fit, seems to me they would call and say something or ask.

F. Guffey
Old November 15, 2011, 07:35 PM   #15
amamnn

Since everything these days is aimed at the lowest common denominator ( an intelligence somewhere between a chimp and a small appliance light bulb) and the LCD somehow prowls the internet, let's restate Sevens post. At the risk of offending Sevens, the post would have been better stated thusly:

Magnum primers cannot be used in just any load until and unless the handloader has the experience to know how much difference such a primer would make in ANY given load and that the said handloader works up the load from the minimum. Some pistol loads, especially those very small calibers can be pushed over the edge of maximum into the area of DISASTER by a very small change in powder, bearing surface or weight of the bullet, and of course primer selection.
Old November 16, 2011, 03:47 AM   #16
Sevens

No offense to me... but I don't cater to the "lowest common denominator" when I post in these forums. I prefer to direct my posts towards the general folks who can read, digest and think freely -- and add perhaps a small nugget from my post to their knowledge base from which they can formulate a decision.

The lowest common denominator can fend for themselves.
Old November 16, 2011, 09:39 AM   #17
BPowderkeg

Concerning old primers

about a year ago i collected some old 30-06 WWII cases i threw out behind my work shop about 7 years previously, i turned out a device on my lathe where i placed some of that old brass in and hit the primer with a center punch, 9 out of 12 went BANG !! (YES !! i was wearing a face shield) those cases were subjected to all kinds of weather conditions, hot, cold, wet etc.

i know.., hard to believe, but true !