The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 12, 1999, 10:37 PM   #1
stark

I was looking through Wired magazine tonight and came upon this product line...looks like they have several items that could be easily modified to CCW use, and they look absolutely nothing at all like "gun fanny packs."

http://www.yakpak.com

look especially at the Hip/Holster Bags and the Waist Packs, and possibly an item or two in the Shoulder section. Some of these could be especially useful for the bicycle/motorcycle riders here... If anyone tries one of these, let me know how it works out. They even offer a lot of the bags in camo!

------------------
-stark-
http://www.23x.com/stark/guns
Old September 13, 1999, 06:18 AM   #2
Geared Up!

You might run into one problem with using the waist packs to carry...
the belt that the pack is attached to is, well, just a belt. *Most* fanny pack holsters have a tapered line coming from the bag and graduating into the belt to provide support for the weight of the weapon. If not, the pack will flop over.

The extra material on a holster pack allows the pack to stay firmly against the bod, no matter how much weight you put inside it.

Now... their "hands free tech sling" might work well, not sure where the opening is and how quickly you could draw, but it looks like it might work well and stay stable.

Their "hip/holster bags" look more stable, but they are closed by velcro and seem a little bulky.

Just MHO.

Geri Weaver

------------------
BlackHawk Authorized Dealer (BAD) - "Better than catalog" prices & free shipping http://www.geardup.com/gearedup.htm
Old September 13, 1999, 09:04 AM   #3
SB

Argh. What is up with this new style of over-glorified purses anyway? It seems to be the rage nowadays.

Ok, now that I have it out of my system, I will explain why I personally don't like these things. Cross shoulder straps makes it infinitely easier to get choked by them if somebody knows what they're doing. I have a serious aversion to anything cord-ish around or near my neck. Another thing is that they're big packs, and big packs can eventually become quite weighted. And when that happens, it will tend to throw off your balance in a fight, to mention nothing of orthopedic considerations.

But that's just me. Besides, are they really that hip? Or am I just getting old?

[This message has been edited by SB (edited September 13, 1999).]