The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 21, 2010, 05:41 AM   #51
Lloyd Smale

nothing wrong with the 06. I use one often. We shoot crop damage deer and kill probably a 100 or so a year. I about dont care what anyone says the 7mag will reach out and touch them better at 400 yards. At 300 it may be a toss up. But when the ranges are real long the 7mag hits with more athourity and is easier to hit with. Id like to know how many here giving you there opinion that the 06 is just as good have actually even shot a deer with a 7mag and how many have shot many deer with both. Ive seen enough deer killed with each to fill a dump truck and know for a fact that if a deer is standing out there at 400 yards id take a 7mag anyday over an 06
Old September 21, 2010, 06:56 AM   #52
taylorce1

LS you are talking about 200-300 ft-lbs of energy and 6-8 inches of difference in trajectory at 500 yards, and a deer can’t tell the difference. With today’s scopes and laser range finders it means the 7mm RM doesn't have any advantage over the .30-06. If you know your dope and have time to adjust your scope you will hit a deer with all the authority you need at 500+ yards to successfully take any deer. I’m not taking away from the proven track record of the 7mm Rem Mag just that with the technology a hunter has available today the old advantages aren’t there anymore.

BTW I prefer the .270 Win over both cartridges!
Old September 21, 2010, 01:53 PM   #53
Lloyd Smale

Well my opinion isnt based on trajectory tables or ballistic math. Its based on killing ALOT of animals and ill stand behind my statement that alothough im a big 3006 fan the 7mag seems to smack them with alot more athourity. Now take a 06 270 or 280 (my real favorite) and theres not spit differnce in the way they put down deer.