The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 24, 2013, 10:36 AM   #1
JRLSH

How to clean bullets?

I have a question concerning some bullets I purchased at a garage sale. I bought these and they were still sealed but upon opening the box I found that the foam inside the box had deteriorated to this(see pics). What I would like to know is what would be the best way to clean these bullets so as to be able to utilize them. They are speer bullets, .224 size, spitzer 70gr. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bulletpic1.jpg (107.9 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Bulletpic.jpg (84.6 KB, 44 views)

If you heard the bang,
You weren't the target.
Old March 24, 2013, 10:39 AM   #2
jimbob86

I'd dump 'em in my case cleaner ......

I wonder what caused that foam to deteriorate? Some kind of solvent spill?
Old March 24, 2013, 10:42 AM   #3
ScottRiqui

First, I'd just put them in a strainer or colander and see how much of that will just rinse off, either with water or with alcohol. I'd hate to get any more deteriorated foam "gunk" in my case cleaning media than I had to.
Old March 24, 2013, 10:47 AM   #4
cvc944

Iosso case cleaner is what I use for bullets. Dump the bullets in, wait about 5 seconds, dump them out, rinse with water, dry them off, and that is it. It will turn bullets in a box sitting around for 40 years into ones you can't tell from new. It works OK on brass cases, but it's magic on copper bullets.
Old March 24, 2013, 10:52 AM   #5
JRLSH

Thanks for your ideas

Thanks for all the ideas on this. I was unsure how to refurbish them to like new capacity but I think with all the input I will be able to get them to like new condition. You guys are tops with me. Thanks again.

If you heard the bang,
You weren't the target.
Old March 24, 2013, 10:56 AM   #6
GP100man

I`d try as mentioned with water & soap first , but if I think it`s what I`ve run into it`ll take some kind of solvent to dissolve the goop.

I soaked mine in mineral sprits then (after straining) poured em on an old towel & rolled em around a bit to dry & scrub a bit .

Don`t use the coleander to strain em ,SWMBO got very upset . Use a can with 1 or 2 holes poked in the bottom catch the MS & reuse .
Old March 24, 2013, 10:58 AM   #7
hooligan1

Funny story, I purchased some bulk bullets, and they were a little dingy, not real bad but dingy so I dumped them all in my tumbler and let 'em go for overnight,, they turned out beautiful,,,, however they are hollow point Gamekings so all the tips were filled with corncobb and by the time I got one hundred of those dudes cleaned out, I kinda wondered what they would have shot like witout being cleaned!!