The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 11, 2005, 06:06 PM   #1
jaymag

triple 7 shoots differant?

I usually shoot 100GR.of pyrodex out of my C.V.A staghorn.I couln't find pyrodex for sale today.My dealer said they are doing away with pyrodex ,so I should jump to triple 7.A better,cleaner powder anyway.Shooting through my bushnell banner scope the powder made my gun shoot alot different.So inline heads beware!!
Old December 11, 2005, 06:18 PM   #2
mec

The more I shoot h777, the less I know about it. I've gotten wildly erratic velocities with revolvers and consistent ones from the same revolvers and then pyrodex-like performance from rifles. It seems to have to do with the amount of compression - the H777 not tolerating compression well at all.

Its one of my favorite propellants for moderate loads in single shot caplock pistols.

Is your man saying they are not going to make pyrodex anymore? If this is the case, I will be ordering black powder in 25 pound lots.
Old December 11, 2005, 07:22 PM   #3
jaymag

Pyrodex is becoming obsolete.My dealer said hodgdon is going to take it off the shelfs in do time.So buy up the pyrodex if that's your poison.
Old December 12, 2005, 12:52 AM   #4
stevelyn

Triple-7 is about 15% hotter than BP or Pyrodex. I use it in my .54 Lyman GPR. Once I found my accuracy load combination, I never had any problems I could identify with powder inconsistensies.
I always light it off with CCI #11 Magnum caps and haven't had any misfires that weren't my fault.
The best part about it is, it's easy to clean and there is no sulphur in the formula.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old December 12, 2005, 08:31 AM   #5
mec

right. I use a 15 gr/vol charge in a lepage pistol in place of 20 grains of pyrodex and 20 h777 instead of 30 in a 50 cal for the same velocities.

Generally, it will produce higher velocities in pistols and and revolvers than other propellants but lately I have used it in Smith Carbines and walkers at the same volume as other powders and the velocities have been somewhat lower than pyrodex and swiss. That's why I say the more I use it, the less I know.
Old December 12, 2005, 01:18 PM   #6
mec

good news on the pyrodex front answer from the big H

Pyrodex is definitely not going to be discontinued.

Mike Daly
Customer Satisfaction Manager
Hodgdon Powder Company/ IMR Powder Company
Old December 12, 2005, 01:58 PM   #7
Remington kid

Keep in mind folks that some of these guy's who work in or own these shops will tell you anything to get you to buy whatever they have on the shelf if there out of what you really want.
Had a guy tell me that wonder lube quit making wads for the .44 (He was out of them) and that I better start buying big tubes of wonderlube. I just looked at him and shook my head as I walked out the door.
Old December 12, 2005, 02:35 PM   #8
mec

likewise the industry people. It's kind of like rumors of a VA Hospital Closure or a giant layoff in one of the factories. " We are absolutely, positively NOT planning any such move at this time." Then, the next day, WHAM!

So, we really never know but I'm glad they are denying it anyway.
Old December 13, 2005, 07:00 PM   #9
jaymag

pyrodex hard to find.

You may be able to find it,but several OTHER stores are just dealing with triple seven and smokeless powder.Yes you can find vcr's still but ,are they better.My dealer wouldn't steer me the wrong way.I have been freinds with him for years.