The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 4, 2011, 05:58 PM   #1
ttownthomas

How Much to ask for a CZ Woodcock

My father in law has indefinately loaned me his 12ga citori. I find myself never shooting my CZ woodcock O/U (12ga)and a friend has asked to purchace it but wants to know how much I'll sell it for. It has been a nice gun There are a small handfull of small dings in the top of the stock from where the gun has banged ito a gun rack and it has lost a little of its finish on the bottom of the reciever from being held. I would guess it has fired a few thousand rounds. The bluing is near perfict with a tiny bit of discoloring at the nose of the barrels. The color case hardining is slightly discolored. It has to be an 85% or more gun from what my old blue book says. I have a full set of chokes and a choke rench to go with it. I'm looking for advice on how much to ask. I dont want to gouge but I dont want to give it away either. Do you gus need to see picures to give me a good estimate?

Chris Thomas
Cary NC
P.S. Im gonna use the money to buy a springfield mil-spec 1911
Old April 7, 2011, 01:03 PM   #2
rbursek

Oxymoron

Isn"t a 12g a "bit" of overkill for Woodcock ?????LOL!!!!!!!!!!
Bob
Old April 7, 2011, 01:20 PM   #3
BigJimP

There are several versions of the CZ out there ...so I don't know which one you have ....but prices vary a lot by region ....take it to a good local used gun store ...see what they would offer you as a trade in on a 1911 .. and that's the value - plus the sales tax you'd save if you sold it locally on the value ( since you would be trading it in )....just ask your buddy to match the offer.
Old April 7, 2011, 01:42 PM   #4
oneounceload

Go to the CLOSED auctions on Gun Broker, Auction Arms, etc. and see what they have sold for. Look in the current BB as well, take an average - and if he is a GOOD friend, maybe give a little break
Old April 7, 2011, 01:42 PM   #5
donkee

Well, Bud's Gun Shop lists them for anywhere from $800 - $1700 depending on what model you actually have so more info would be needed and pics too.

I have no idea why a 1911 was brought up (probably the biggest reason i flat out despise 1911s since they are forced on you in any and all conversations) and would stay away from the local gun dealer since anything they would offer you would be way below it's value.

Maybe check gunbroker and check any auctions that have bids and see what they are at when the auction closes. Any that don't have bids are probably way over priced.
Old April 7, 2011, 01:49 PM   #6
BigJimP

Read his post ....he brought up / that he wants to use the money to buy a 1911...

take a deep breath man ....and relax ( besides, 1911's rule !! )
Old April 7, 2011, 02:29 PM   #7
donkee

I see that now, looked like pert of the sigline.

Still wouldn't take it anywhere near a gun store.
Old April 7, 2011, 02:49 PM   #8
BigJimP

There are some honest gun stores out there ...that deal in used guns / and some of them keep their profit margins fair ...and offer respectable deals to sellers and buyers ...at least in my area.

And sure / everyone has to make a buck in the deal - so you might be able to sell it for more as a personal sale....but putting it on consignment ( where the store owner might take 10 - 20% ) can expose the gun to hundreds of buyers - that you might not be able to reach otherwise. Store owner has to do all the transfer paperwork, etc as well ...and he deserves something for all that as well.

In this case / if he knows what he would get for a trade in value ....my thought is it would just be an easy way to make his buddy a deal - and for him not to get hurt financially in the deal. But he should add the sales tax to the value ( say 10% in my area ) ...because if he were to trade the shotgun in / he would put the value toward his handgun ...and not pay sales tax on that trade in value -- only the remaining value on the handgun.

But come on now Donkee ...you know ( deep down in your heart ..that 1911's Rule !!! ) ....... ( Just yanking your chain man ....) ....
Old April 7, 2011, 07:47 PM   #9
jaughtman

Well......

They retail for around 750-900 here, but CDNN has them right now for around 600.00 brand new. So, unless he is just niave, I think you would be looking to get around 500 or so for it.

J

Tags
shotgun cz for sale o/u