The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 19, 2009, 06:21 PM   #1
rayf268

used prices for lee press

I am going to go to a large gun show in Indy next month and am looking to get a lee turret press and as many other parts and dies as I can. I was hoping to get some of eveyones ideas of how much to pay for what.

I am not looking to hear don't give a nickel for a lee and buy a dillon.

thanks
Ray
Old December 19, 2009, 06:50 PM   #2
Suwannee Tim

Don't give a nickel for a lee and buy a dillon.

Just kidding. If you know you want a Lee, get a Lee, with my blessing. You the one that gets to live with it, what do I care?

I think I would pay as much as 75% of retail for a clean used press. I would rather pay 60%. Less money for lesser condition.
Old December 19, 2009, 07:11 PM   #3
chris in va

The press itself is roughly $70 + shipping on the net, the kit about $110. Normally I'm all for buying used, but my hand press has developed a fair amount of slop after 2000 rounds, so it might be in your best interest to get a new one.
Old December 19, 2009, 09:29 PM   #4
warnerwh

You need to research the Lee Classic Turret. For a little more you get a very good quality press plus a four hole turret. It's well worth the extra little bit of money.
Old December 20, 2009, 12:45 AM   #5
farmall

With current gunshow trends in pricing, id say list price + 10-15%.

Seriously though, too many variables in the way of "stuff" thrown in, like powder measures, dies ect, to price accurately. If you find what you want I'd figure 75% of new is not too bad of a deal.

Good luck!

Andy
Old December 20, 2009, 02:37 AM   #6
SLCscottie

I couldn't find a good deal on used.

I have just recently bought a press, etc on Midwayusa.com and had been pricing all of the turrets and single stage presses. There are not any good deals on EBAY, at the Gunshow (Salt Lake City), on the local On-line advertising, or from a semi retired gunsmith that supposedly had all kinds of stuff he could sell. (he never called back). I even put a Want-To-Buy used for several reloading items on a local heavily viewed online website and had no calls or emails. I was really surprised. I planned on being shrewdly frugal by buying used. Well I didn't buy used. I bought the Lee Classic Cast Single Stage Press for $76. Plus three other items plus $21 shipping. This will be as frugle as I can be for rifle reloading.

So my observation and experience is that if you buy new and want to sell it later, you will not be out of much money. Heck, you might even make some pocket change. If I start reloading any significant amount for pistol, then I would not have hesitated starting with the Lee Turret Press.

Have fun with your choice.
Old December 20, 2009, 09:41 AM   #7
rayf268

So I guess I'll Go in with a list of stuff I need ad the retail prices and shoot for 75% or lower of that.

I talked to a guy from a craigslist ad the other day and he wanted $200 for a classic turret with 2 die sets and case prep gear, scale and powder thrower. I thought kinda high.
Old December 20, 2009, 09:54 AM   #8
Hook686

If it is a 4 die carbide pistol set, Lee shows $55 on their site. Lee shows $140 for the Classic Turret press. With just these two items, it looks like $250. Maybe $200 is not such a bad price. I think it depends upon exactly what and in what condition. Case prep gear could be tumbler, calipers, deburr tool, trimmer ....

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old December 20, 2009, 10:47 AM   #9
m&p45acp10+1

For a Lee deluxe turret kit check Cabella's
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...847&id=0032404
4 die carbide pistol sets
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...847&hasJS=true
I did not pay for my set up. I traded a bunch of brass for it. (over 120 pounds)
Price for those shipped should still be well under $200 and they are brand new. With the waranty if it should somehow be needed.
Old December 20, 2009, 11:03 PM   #10
StainlessButcher

I recently won an auction on fleabay for a Lee turret press and got it at a fair price considering it comes with some dies, a primer flipping thing, a powder measure and discs, and a couple of other things. All told, I paid right at 100 bucks including shipping. I think there are deals to be had if you shop hard enough. It took me a couple of weeks of daily perusals to find the deals I got on Ebay, so if you are patient, you might just find what you need. Believe me, I'm no huge fan of Ebay, but I use the tools I have.

Butch.
Old December 21, 2009, 10:22 AM   #11
twice barrel

Get the Lee Classic Turret. Can be had for around $90 new. In addition to dies you'll want the riser for the Pro Auto Disc Powder measure you'll also need to get. Depending upon what dies and scales that fella had it may have been a really good deal.

I happen to like Lee dies and even used them back when I was an RCBS fella.

Regards,

TB
Old December 25, 2009, 10:09 PM   #12
speedracer211

Dont forget cabellas has $20 off if you spend over $100
Old December 26, 2009, 12:23 PM   #13
Don P

Quote:
I am going to go to a large gun show in Indy next month and am looking to get a lee turret press and as many other parts and dies as I can. I was hoping to get some of everyones ideas of how much to pay for what.
Check these web sites and there prices for (new) and then do the math when at the gun show. You will know if the prices for used is good or if they are too high. At all the shows I have attended here in FLA I have not seen any used reloading equipment for sale.

www.midway.com

www.factorysales.com

These 2 site seem to have the best prices that I have been able to find with Midway being the least expensive
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old December 26, 2009, 03:19 PM   #14
fourdollarbill

50% of new or less.

I would write the midway usa prices down as there are not that many presses. That way you have the scoop in your pocket.
Old December 26, 2009, 11:05 PM   #15
Ivan

I just bot the Lee Classic whatever from Cabelas. $85 + $20 for a Hunter Ann + $5 for a cheap blanket + $15 for shipping - $20 meant I still got a fairly decent deal, though I am not certain either of the other two items was particularly good quality.

- Ivan.
Old December 27, 2009, 11:23 AM   #16
MADISON

"Used" Lee presses

Go in or www.leeprecision.com and see what they sell referbished equipment for.
Old December 27, 2009, 11:38 AM   #17
sundog

Because of the price new, I would not pay more than half for used Lee gear, and depending on what it was, I wouldn't even buy it. I have Lee gear, and for the most part it does it's intended purpose.
Old December 27, 2009, 03:42 PM   #18
Citywaterman

Buy it new

I really like my Lee Classic Turret press. I'm not sure how much you will save buying used, but buying new is affordable and you get the warantee. I'm sure you can buy another high quality press (another brand) and be happy with it, but you will pay a lot more. I bought my press at Kempf gun shop http://kempfgunshop.com/ online and customer service after the sale is excellent. Very competitive prices. Go new. Citywaterman