The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 8, 2008, 05:15 PM   #1
Desslock

Feral pigs in NH?

This is probably a stupid question that I should know the answer to since I've lived here all my life, but are there any feral pigs in New Hampshire? There's no hunting season for them so I'm guessing probably not, but then again there never used to be those ugly turkey hawk things here, either until a few years ago.
Old February 8, 2008, 10:26 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

"...those ugly turkey hawk things..." As in a turkey vulture?
A quick net search shows that the first Eurasian wild boar were released in New Hampshire in 1886. It may not be legal to hunt Porky though. Contact your Fish and Game Department.
Old February 9, 2008, 10:05 AM   #3
Desslock

Yes! Turkey vulture! I've only started seeing them here within the last eight years or so. So, do you think there are any more wild boar here, or did they all migrate south or get killed off?
Old February 9, 2008, 10:18 AM   #4
Biss

I believe so..

Hey Desslock- I remember several years back hearing of a deer hunter in Marlow NH who shot one. I never spoke to the individual, but if I remember correctly, the thought was that it had probably escaped from a private hunting club/park up in the croydon area.
Biss
Old February 9, 2008, 10:34 AM   #5
Desslock

Interesting...I hike and explore a lot so sometimes when I'm stuck at work I fiddle around online trying to figure out what kind of unusual animals I may come across in my jouneys. A lot of southerners talk about snakes and boar so I was curious as to whether or not we had any of those fellas here in our neck of the woods. I usually stay in the southern portion of the state, but who knows what lurks in the northern mountains?
Old February 9, 2008, 01:30 PM   #6
Scorch

Quote:
are there any feral pigs in New Hampshire?
Considering how long that area has been inhabited by European transplants, I would be extremely surprised if there were no feral hogs in NH. If not, it's just a matter of time . . .
Old March 3, 2008, 08:30 AM   #7
Rifleman 173

Feral hogs range all the way from the Panama Canal, up into Mexico and across the entire United States and up into Canada. There probably are feral hogs, wild boars, etc. in New Hampshire but not many people probably luck into getting one there in the northeastern states. Hogs can live just about anywhere men can live, feral ones too.
Old March 3, 2008, 11:37 AM   #8
Bellevance

Hey, Desslock. They're out there, apparently.

Here's a link to an interesting discussion:

http://www.huntingchat.net/forums/in...pic=9373&st=40

Here's some more info from a site in Wisconsin discussing the feral hog:

Today, feral pigs and hybrids of the Russian wild boars are found in 23 states with the possibility of yet-undiscovered populations in several more states. The largest populations are in the coastal states surrounding the Gulf of Mexico and California (not surprising, since Spanish explorers settled these territories). Feral pigs are found chiefly in western North Carolina, eastern Tennessee, West Virginia and, in California, on Santa Cruz Island and Monterey and San Luis Obispo counties. Small numbers of pigs are found in New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Vermont, Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Florida, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina and Texas.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/...tebook/pig.htm
Old March 3, 2008, 12:03 PM   #9
Wild Bill Bucks

The First "Pure Russian" wild boars were brought into the US by Austin Corbin. They were released into a 20,000 acre enclosure in Sullivan County New Hampshire in 1890. STATES WITH FERAL HOGS: 39, plus 4 Canadian provinces.

NATIONAL POPULATION is estimated at around 4,000,000.
ESTIMATED ANNUAL AGG DAMAGE from feral swine $52 MILLION!
LANDOWNER ANNUAL EXPENSE to control feral swine $7 MILLION
NATURAL LIFE EXPECTANCY OF A FERAL SWINE IS 6 to 8 years.
AVERAGE SIZE of feral swine is 100 to 150 pounds but depending on the region can obtain sizes in excess of 600 lbs.
REPRODUCTION OF FERAL SWINE; Once a sow reaches breeding age at 7 or 8 months of age they can be responsible for 1,000 plus feral swine in a 5 year period. UUMMM with a current population at 2 MILLION ( if 1/4 are breeding sow!)?

If you have hog farmers in New Hampshire, then you have feral hogs.
Old March 3, 2008, 02:10 PM   #10
essexcounty

Yep, they are! Corbin Park has had them since god knows when. I grew up on a nearby farm in West Springfield and a breeding population does exist outside the fences. Croydon Mountain burned back in the late fifties and a lot of game escaped. Some of the boys in Grantham got togeather and put togeather a couple of hound packs and had much fun. I've seen more than a few in Cornish. I'd try North Newport, Grantham or Cornich. These are Russian Boar not feral pigs.........Essex
Old March 4, 2008, 06:45 PM   #11
Desslock

Bellevance, thank you for the link! Great reading. I'd love to try a boar hunt sometime. I do love barbeque'd piggy.
Old March 13, 2008, 10:34 PM   #12
PineyWoodsPlace

Quote:
... are there any feral pigs in New Hampshire? ...
Definitely. In the Croydon area there are quite a few - descendents of the ones that escaped from the adjacent private hunting preserve back in the 1950s. There is no closed season on them, but you do need a hunting license to hunt them.
Old March 21, 2008, 03:33 PM   #13
Diesel1

I can't vouch for the accuracy of what is written below, I found it on the internet.

"There is a small concentration of wild boar believed to be in the Claremont/Cornish area of NH. They have escaped from a large game preserve in the area. The best place to hunt them is in swampy areas. You need to have NH Hunting License in order to hunt them. Because they have escaped from a game farm, there is no closed season on them, nor is there a limit to the # of take. Because the animal does not have to be registered by a hunter, we have no records as to how many are shot a year, however, I would guess that the numbers are small.

Linda
Wildlife Division
NH Fish & Game Dept.
Old March 30, 2008, 04:32 PM   #14
qajaq59

Quote:
are there any feral pigs in New Hampshire?
It wouldn't surprise me if there were some up there. They get away from the pens occasionally and breed like rabbits in the wild. When I was a kid there were even some along the upper part of the Charles River in the Boston area.
Old June 22, 2008, 05:07 AM   #15
psg

NH Wilboar

Hey, Guys,

There are very limited numbers of boar in NH and the source as was mentioned is the BlueMountain Preserve.

Boar are not considered game in NH and it is a fact that boar even outside the preserve are still legal property of the preserve.

You can hunt the boar with dogs, but the boar must be killed by a firearm discharged ar a full arm's length. The period for hunting is from sunrise minus 30mins to sunset plus 30mins, year-round and you do require a hunting permit and firearms license.

Strictly speaking, you should report a kill to the Bluemountain Preserve to aid with statistics and to notify them of the status of their property.
Since the preserve is liable for damage caused by the boar, they do consider them to be a 'pest' outwith their boundary.