The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 3, 2016, 08:04 PM   #1
Primered

New Lapua Brass

Have been out of reloading for a long time and can't remember what I've done before. Question is: New Lapua .308 brass is sized at 3.010". Trim length per my reloading manual and elsewhere is 3.005". For a first-time shooting should I go ahead and trim it, wait until I've fired it the first time or what? What do you do?

Thank you.
Old October 3, 2016, 08:42 PM   #2
CarJunkieLS1

Trim after once firing. If its only .005 over minimum trim length then its GTG and ready to load.
Old October 3, 2016, 11:27 PM   #3
emcon5

I hope it isn't 3.010, if so you have about an inch to trim off.

Max case length is 2.015", if it under that, don't worry about it.
Old October 4, 2016, 08:08 AM   #4
oldscot3

I would just run them through a neck sizer die to make sure no small dents have them out off round at the mouth, then a little chamfer with a de-burr tool and you're ready to go.
Old October 4, 2016, 10:51 AM   #5
AllenJ

No need to trim until it reaches or exceeds max case length.

I use Laupa brass for my 308 Win. and am very impressed with it. Having dealt with Remington and Winchester brass for years in other chamberings their consistency is not nearly that of the Lapua brass I've used. Well worth the extra cost in my opinion.
Old October 4, 2016, 11:29 AM   #6
waveslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primered View Post
Have been out of reloading for a long time and can't remember what I've done before. Question is: New Lapua .308 brass is sized at 3.010". Trim length per my reloading manual and elsewhere is 3.005". For a first-time shooting should I go ahead and trim it, wait until I've fired it the first time or what? What do you do?

Thank you.
You need to measure your gun's chamber to see what the trim to length is. Once you have that then trim once you hit that number.

Also, you want all your brass to be consistent, especially the length for neck tension purposes. Helps improve accuracy

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns
Old October 4, 2016, 01:01 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

"...a long time and can't remember..." Best you read your manual again first.
.308 Max case length is 2.015". Trim-to is 2.005". All new brass regardless of brand requires checking for length(trimming, chamfering and deburring as required only) and FL sizing. You do need to chamfer the case mouths anyway though.
If your Lapua is all the same length, I'd just carry on.
A neck sizer die is only used on cases that have been fired out of one rifle at least once. Not BNIB cases.
Old October 7, 2016, 11:32 AM   #8
Sweet Shooter

I try to trim each time I reload but never seem to get any to cut much (.308). The one thing I am tired of is buying new brass that is too short. When you're trying to reach lands through a long lead you need all the brass you can get... as long as you're safe and not crimping as you're chambering.
-SS-