The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 16, 2010, 10:14 AM   #1
JimK66

Home defense tactical shotgun

I've been considering getting a tactical shotgun for fun and home defense for several years and finally decided to do something about it since I didn't think my Beretta 12sga, SP O/U Trap didn't qualify as a defensive weapon and my little Mossy 500 12ga I've kept loaded and under the bed for over 40+ years was ready for an upgrade. eAfter doing a lot of reading and discussing many of the options with some law enforcement friends I was about to make my final decision I rememabered an old friend..... TFL and this is my .is my first time on this end of the forum. Sooooo.....I really like the Benelli M4 with it's 6 round capacity, the pistol graip fits great and the gun shoulders well and very comfortable. The sights are fine and if I want to put an additional accessory on the gun the reil is ready to mount it.
Any input would be appreciated. Is it a pain in the A... to breakdown and clean???
Thanks,
JimK
Old December 16, 2010, 10:47 PM   #2
leathermarshmallow

Check out the mossberg 930 at about half the price of the benelli
Old December 16, 2010, 10:56 PM   #3
Big Bill

If you buy a Benelli, you'll not be disappointed. I paid about the same $ for my Benelli Nova Tactical as I did my Rem 870 Tactical. And, I see on Benelli's website they have a some great rebates on right now. I sold the Benelli and now I wish I'd sold the Remington.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old December 16, 2010, 11:05 PM   #4
jmortimer

I think there are three top contenders Bennelli M4 and FN SLP and Mossberg 930and my favorite is the FN SLP but for the $$$ I am going with the 930. As far as reliability the are all on the same level - You can bet you life on any of them. You should be happy with any of these three.
Old December 16, 2010, 11:08 PM   #5
ripnbst

The mossberg 500 is a nice low cost option with several different configruations offered.

Toward the bottom of the page they start to get tactical.
http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/d...&zipcode=74014
Old December 17, 2010, 12:55 PM   #6
JimK66

Tactical shotgun

Thanks for the input fellows. I went to the range this morning and shot a Remington 870, Mossy, FN and a Benelli M4 and really liked the feel and lack of recoil the Benelli had. All were nice guns though. This was the first time for me to shoot a shotgun with a pistol grip and I fell in love with that. I purchased the Benelli for $1525 ++ a $200 rebate which with all things considered I didn't feel was too bad. I did have one initial concern and that was after looking over the manual It appeared that the gun was rather complicated in strapping. (Any help their??).
Again, thanks,
Jim